White smoke on 2.2 HDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jackyboy44

White smoke on 2.2 HDI

Post by Jackyboy44 »

I have a 2002 C5 2.2 HDI done 80k. When starting from cold I get plumes of white smoke and a bit of misfire. No problems starting it though and within about 20 seconds it all clears and runs perfectly. Have had it in to a garage but no faults shown. They suggested running it with a diesel additive to see if it clears but this has made no difference. I know it's not DPF related because I had that removed a few months ago and it has been running great, still is other than this cold start problem

Any clues anyone?
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Re: White smoke on 2.2 HDI

Post by HDI Dave »

Sounds like my old pug diesel..used to cover the street in smoke :oops:

ony when cold.

Glowplugs, altho if the garage has looked at it they've probly checked/replaced em?
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
Jackyboy44

Post by Jackyboy44 »

The garage haven't changed the glow plugs but I assume they checked them. Will take it back after the holiday
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Glow plugs shouldn't bother an HDi if the temperature is above 5°C.

If it is any help, mine is slow starting and chucks out a fair bit of white/grey smoke when it fires.
I think it is a high resistance connection somewhere.
Put a new battery in and no improvement, it's back on the original battery now.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Glow plugs shouldn't bother an HDi if the temperature is above 5°C.
Quite so. White smoke is always a symptom of very poor combustion where fuel is injected but the majority of it escapes unburned. The usual cause of white smoke is poor compression and as it clears readily I say the problem was a sticky tappet that just holds a valve open when the engine is stone cold...

Steve, yours shouldn't smoke at all when it starts really. The 2.0 HDi is a very smokeless engine normally...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:
myglaren wrote:Glow plugs shouldn't bother an HDi if the temperature is above 5°C.
Quite so. White smoke is always a symptom of very poor combustion where fuel is injected but the majority of it escapes unburned. The usual cause of white smoke is poor compression and as it clears readily I say the problem was a sticky tappet that just holds a valve open when the engine is stone cold...

Steve, yours shouldn't smoke at all when it starts really. The 2.0 HDi is a very smokeless engine normally...
It always used to be until the slow starting syndrome appeared just over a year ago.

Oddly enough it has been much better the past week but on every first start of the day it claims the airbags are buggered. Cures itself after being driven a few miles and restarted.

I doesn't smoke other than on being started first thing each day.
mendedit
My Cars:

Post by mendedit »

Try: to ream/remove carbon from glow plug chamber
The world is full of them and a lot are in
Jackyboy44

Post by Jackyboy44 »

Update
Took to garage and problem with No4 injector so had it replaced. Car ran sweetly but still the smoke on cold start up. Took it back to garage and was told that No2 and 3 injectors were 'low' so yesterday they were replaced. Just started the car this morning, not quite as bad but still smokey on start up, only for a few seconds.
Now paid out over £600 so back to the garage on Monday.

Anyone any ideas or directions I can point the garage in. I've used them for years, know the mechanic who I trust but I need a solution