New MOT Rules

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

OwenP
My Cars:

New MOT Rules

Post by OwenP »

Came across some new MOT rules for next year whilst browsing the net this morning. http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/ca ... -2012.html

Reading through the list, I get the impression that drumming up business for the motor trade, as well as road safety has played a large part in these new rules.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Re: New MOT Rules

Post by jgra1 »

blimey..

i have removed the cat and my seats no longer have side airbags..

not good..

I do have a moggy at home that is still quite small, and likes enclosed spaces, so that's all good..

Jim, want to do the front seat swap we had in mind? ;)
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Bit surprised that the wording specifically mentions some rules for testing of cars fitted with aftermarket HID's.
Seems the previous official line about retrofitting HID's being illegal has not now been confirmed.
The new test measures seem to be about control of retrofit not total elimination.

John
Xmexclusive
OwenP
My Cars:

Post by OwenP »

The way I read it from that specific article, is that if the retrofit has included the levelling and cleaning gear required then it is considered okay. Not sure I'd like to test that out though.

I also wonder what they mean by an "insecure battery" my first car had its battery sat on a plate in the engine bay, with nothing to secure it, but it never moved anywhere.

Can't say that I like the cat rule either.

Edit: Spelling
Last edited by OwenP on 16 Dec 2011, 21:52, edited 2 times in total.
2001 406 Rapier 2.0 HDi 90 Estate - Sold Scrap after being viciously attacked by a falling tree
2001 Toyota MR2 1.8 VVTi - To be sold for spares/repair - dead gearbox :(
2014 Seat Ibiza Eastate 1.4 FR ACT (bought in an emergency, but a nice enough low mileage car)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

OwenP wrote:I also wonder what they mean by an "insecure battery" my first car had its battery sat on a plate in the engine bay, with nothing to secureit, but it never moved anywhere.
An insecure battery is defined as not being clamped down/held in place by a bracket. i.e. If the only thing keeping the battery in place is the leads then not only will it be an MOT fail it is also in contravention to Construction and Use Regulations which means that Police can prosecute you for the offence.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jgra1 wrote: i have removed the cat and my seats no longer have side airbags..
That won't matter John, so long as the airbag light performs as intended..... I don't think any MOT test will go so deep as to check the number of airbags your car should have...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

hmm maybe JIm.. ok so i need to pull the bulb or stick a resistor in I guess...
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

The airbag light will have a blink sequence similar to ABS lights.
I expect MOT test stations will get airbag car model blink check tables as they already have for ABS blink squences.
A removed or fixed light will not get you a pass from a concentious tester.

John
Xmexclusive
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

hmm I was wondering this, thanks John
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You'll have to concoct a special 'blink box' to operate the lights John :wink:

Just remember on a late MK2 with side airbags that the main airbag light goes out first followed by the side airbag light. John's conscientious MOT tester might not be happy if they go out simultaneously...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

Interesting that they've come up with a load of stuff like that -- yet (as long as they're in the right condition, tread etc.) tyres that are known to have rotten roadholding are perfectly ok. Makes rather a nonsense of claims that the MoT test is to do with "safety".
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

But how do you test a tyre for roadholding ability? I have cheapos on Rattiva. They seem OK to me but to you they might be like driving with tyres made of PTFE :lol: :lol: Bit subjective...

One thing that intrigues me is the 'suspension shaker' they plan to deploy on one-man test lanes. This contraption is intended to 'exercise' the suspension and detect play... It'll be interesting to see one. It sounds like something from Wallace and Gromit...
Jim

xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Hi Jim

My MOT man has been using a suspension shaker for the last year or so.
Interesting to watch an XM leap about.
First time made me seriously concerned about poor strut heads surviving.
In practice it has only found one drop link and one loose wheel bearing in 6 tests.
Now I think that if it takes out a poor strut head then the MOT bay is the safest place for it to happen.

John
Xmexclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I wonder if my man has one of those John... He gave me a drop link advisory and however hard I tried I couldn't detect any play in in it. I could hear it though...

I thought these shakers were something new...

Yes, if a strut top is gonna go, the MOT bay is certainly the best place... Blame the MOT man for damaging the car and get a new one free!!!!

Well, one can dream I suppose...
Jim

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

yep my chap has had the shaker for a year or so.. I was quite scared watching it in action, especially when he put the 4 ton chevy van on there :)