Berlingo HDI alternator replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tony1

Berlingo HDI alternator replacement

Post by tony1 »

I have a 2002 HDI berlingo the 1 series before the large head lights. I'm really struggling to change the alternator, It is such a tight fit against the radiator.
I have moved the PAS pump & removed the oil filter.
I'm now thinking I'll have to remove the radiator or remove the front bumper to move the radiator forward.

Is there a trick I'm missing?

Cheers

Tony
02 - Berlingo HDI Forte
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Berlingo HDI alternator replacement

Post by CitroJim »

Tony, if the Berlingo is like the HDi Xantia then there's just room after removing the oil filter. It's a tight squeeze though and yu have to try the alternator in many different positions until you hit the one that works...

Again, on the HDi Xantia you need to unbolt the wiring loom tray across the front of the engine and push it gently out of the way; that gives another fag paper's worth of clearance...

I'm sure there is a way. PSA were very clever at making these jobs just possible.

Rather than move the rad, how about undoing the top engine mount with the engine supported on a jack underneath - the nautral tendency will be for the engine to tip backwards a little way and that just might give enough clearance...

Good luck!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
tony1

Post by tony1 »

Thanks Jim moving the wiring loom tray did the trick.

Tony
02 - Berlingo HDI Forte
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

tony1 wrote:Thanks Jim moving the wiring loom tray did the trick.
Great news Tony :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...