mixed all season tyres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

mixed all season tyres

Post by froggy »

Hi, Iam on a very tight budget. I have been looking to buy all season tyres for my Xantia . My question is : would it be ok to buy , for example, four differant "makes" of tyre, providing they are all the same speck . Iam thinking of ebay. any thoughts would be apreciated. cheers Terry . :idea:
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Norlander

Re: mixed all season tyres

Post by Norlander »

Not all different, unless that's unavoidable. At least have the front two and the back pair matching each other. But on e-bay at present I notice there are some rather good offers of new (or very little used) tyres in sizes the Xantia takes.... avoid the poor performers and budgets, shoe your wheels using top-class tyres. Ideally, so all including the spare are the same
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Yes, only get a pair for the front and a pair for the rear, I would not advise putting on 4 different make tyres as all will offer different levels of grip in different situations/weather conditions.

Also you might not get a pair the same tread depth, different makes often have a slightly different rolling radius anyway. Its best to have tyres of the same radius on an axel.

Be wary, as lots of tyres on ebay are ancient or not inspected fully. Recommended life for a tyre is said to be 6 years .. you dont want to be buying a tyre much older than that, certainly not over 10 as you don't know its history, where it has been stored and how, or how it has been used. It might just start to break up.

You also have no idea how many times a tyre has bashed up and down curbs, damaging the sidewall and carcas. Ive had to replace a few tyres on cars ive bought due to the running ot of true due to potholing/curbing. Its a gamble.

You want as much grip as possible in winter weather, always more grip for the rear so fit the best ones there but always a pair of matched tyres on the driven axel.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I had some 2000 eagle f1 run flats which started failing on the sidewall once fitted. Sketchy as something sketchy!
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Recommended life for a tyre is said to be 6 years .. you dont want to be buying a tyre much older than that, certainly not over 10 as you don't know its history, where it has been stored and how, or how it has been used. It might just start to break up.
Apparently, lack of use is just as bad, e.g. unused spare tyres, which is what many eBay offerings are. It seems that use keeps the plasticiser distributed throughout the rubber, or something like that.
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

That's where the date of manufacture stamped on the tyre is so useful.....
the ones (unused) I've bought cheaply via ebay are no older then spring last year.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

dnsey wrote:
Recommended life for a tyre is said to be 6 years .. you dont want to be buying a tyre much older than that, certainly not over 10 as you don't know its history, where it has been stored and how, or how it has been used. It might just start to break up.
Apparently, lack of use is just as bad, e.g. unused spare tyres, which is what many eBay offerings are. It seems that use keeps the plasticiser distributed throughout the rubber, or something like that.
Apparently so.

The local Evans Halshaw dealer near me stocks loads of used cars. If any need a pair of new tyres they take the one off the spare wheel (when possible) and match it up with an extra-cheapo new budget tyre on the other side. Hardly a good idea!

Yes, ive heard that, a tyre needs to be used to stay in good condition or it will perish early. Tyres stored in dark and dry places should be ok, as UV does really effect tyres.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10