C15 Mystery

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cherami
My Cars: 2 x C15 and a Berlingo

C15 Mystery

Post by cherami »

I have a C15 which I purchased and to make clear it had the problem when I purchased.

Things that have been checked so far.
Front ball joints
steering rack
Drive shafts
Engine mountings
Wheel bearings
Front steering yolks (Demi-trains)

Now whilst these are not in perfect order they are far from being worn out.
Vehicle has done 256000 kilometres.

Problem

When driving along and keeping the throttle steady all is well but the moment you de accelerate the vehicle veers to the left, put the throttle down again and goes to the right. It feels as though the drive shafts are independent of each other if that makes any sense.

I have just had a MOT in France and it did not show anything wrong.

I am suspicious of the drive in the gearbox but do not know so much about the internal workings of this part of the gearbox.

Any suggestions please
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Re: C15 Mystery

Post by Citroening »

If you don't get an answer here, head onto the Visa Forum that also caters for the C15 and there's a lot of C15 knowledge on there too. :)

http://www.visaforum.freeforums.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Franklin
miked
My Cars: Xsara SX (2003) Last of the line.

Post by miked »

I once had the same thing about 20 years ago in a VW polo after sliding into a curb and knocking the wheel back (Bent radius arm).
So it could be worth checking caster, camber etc.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

C15 get through lower front arm bushes very quickly, the ones that locate the anti-roll bar to the lower arms, if they are worn you will get the symptoms you describe. The bushes are or certainly were available separately from the arm's, even using genuine parts they were almost a standard service item on the two C15's I had.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it hasnt got rear end steering has it (completly shot trailing arm bearings),

regards malcolm
tommy309

Post by tommy309 »

my bet would be P Bushes for the bottom arms are worn, common citroen problem lol
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

C15's dont have P bush's

regards malcolm
cherami

Post by cherami »

DickieG wrote:C15 get through lower front arm bushes very quickly, the ones that locate the anti-roll bar to the lower arms, if they are worn you will get the symptoms you describe. The bushes are or certainly were available separately from the arm's, even using genuine parts they were almost a standard service item on the two C15's I had.
are these the arms you refer to.
If so the MOT chap said there was only a very small amount of play in one side only.

Citronut.

No the rear is fine. Also I think this would have shown up on the MOT.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

cherami wrote:are these the arms you refer to.
If so the MOT chap said there was only a very small amount of play in one side only.
Yes thats the arms, but specifically the rubber bushes in the middle of the arm where the anti roll bar locates onto, I'd have thought that any play there will cause the very symptoms you describe.
cherami wrote:Citronut.

No the rear is fine. Also I think this would have shown up on the MOT.
You can check the arms visually by standing behind the van at a distance, the rear wheel should look vertical, if however one or both of them look like / \ and or there is very little clearance between the top inside edge of the tyre and the seam running in/alongside the the wheel arch then the arm bearings are shot, it's quite common for them to need replacing @ 150k miles.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
cherami

Post by cherami »

It's very wet and windy here in France, but the moment I get a chance i will investigate what have said.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its not always easy to feel play in these rear arms when the bearings are shot, as there is a lot of presure on them from the heavy duty rear spring that C15's have,

also if the roller bearings have broken up the bits can wedge the arm against the pivot tube's'

as Richard says stand back away from the rear end and look for the wheel lean / \

regards malcolm
cherami

Post by cherami »

=D> =D> =D> At last my problem has been solved and so far have only replaced one side ,will do the other side if it stops raining. You were right guys it was the lower arm, the worse worn bit was the end that fits to the chassis. Altogether it seems a very weak system. So thank you all very much.