Citroen C5 2004 Estate ESP warning Not functioning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrrigga

Citroen C5 2004 Estate ESP warning Not functioning

Post by mrrigga »

HI :(
I have just had a full set of pads and new exhaust fitted and now I get a warning come up ESP not functioning. On my Citroen C5 2004 Estate 2ltr
I have taken it back to the mechanic and he cannot find the fault. He said he had it put on a diagnostics machine the machine said steering angle sensor. He says he doesn't know where the sensor is or how to cure the fault.
Can anyone suggest what the problem could be and how to correct it.
Thank You
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: Citroën C5 2004 Estate ESP warning Not functioning

Post by Citroenmad »

You can reset the steering wheel angle sensor with e Lexia. Ive heard it can be upset by turning the steering wheel with the ignition off. I find its quite a common finding when Lexia-ing a C5.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Citroenmad wrote:You can reset the steering wheel angle sensor with e Lexia. Ive heard it can be upset by turning the steering wheel with the ignition off. I find its quite a common finding when Lexia-ing a C5.
Just as it is when Lexia'ing a Hydractive Xantia. You can almost bet you'll find the steering angle sensor has thrown a fault. I've often felt it's caused by moving the wheel when not moving but I've never been able to prove it...

At least in a Xantia it doesn't have such a catastrophic effect...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mrrigga

Re: Citroen C5 2004 Estate ESP warning Not functioning

Post by mrrigga »

Thanks Guys for your replies I have passed them on to the garage mechanic who done the work.
He tells me that when he had a diagnostic test they could not get it to reset came up as a permanent error.
However I don't think the machine was a Lexia tool He is now going to look for someone with the right equipment.
Again Thanks
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Out of curiosity is your steering wheel centred when the front wheels point straight ahead? My steering wheel was pointing to 1 o'clock when i bought the car and i kept getting the ESP not functioning warning light every time i started the car. I had the tracking done to sort out the mis-aligned steering wheel and the warning light/ESP function was restored to normal operation.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
mrrigga

Post by mrrigga »

I assume he checked that but will mention it tomorrow Thanks

Every little helps guys
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Not wanting to add to your gloom, but I think ESP warning lights are covered by the MOT from January. So, even if there is nothing wrong with the car the fact that there is a warning light misbehaving might cause a fail.

It would pass in December, not in January, but others might know better.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini