Antipollution warning Light But seems to run OK??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

peterb
My Cars:

Antipollution warning Light But seems to run OK??

Post by peterb »

Hi guys.

This is my first post just joined. Have 2 Citroens a C3 pluriel (my wifes) and just bought a C5 diesel estate (53 plat but pretty high miles 200K).

So i know I'm going to get a few comments (negative) BUT I only needed an economical car for business in the short term and anyway so far after 500 miles I have been pleased and impressed.... I also talked to numerous taxi drivers who drive C5's and the majority of them said that it was a good solid car and only prone to nigglety electrics. My reasoning is and was taxi drivers tend to buy cars that are mostly reliable and cheap to run otherwise they would be out of business.

Then two nights ago the warning light came on. Now, I've never had a diesel before - so this is a first and have noticed that this is quite a common problem.

The thing is that I have read a lot of comments (especially about the 2.2 HDI's) about MAPs , DPF and MAFs BUT think that this problem doesn't seem so serious but I would still like some pointers.

The thing is that the car is running smoothly, no judders, no shakes, will rev past 4,000 rpm . It's just this light is on!

I have contacted a member by PM re getting a lexia test.

I have also read that (somewhere in the posts) that there are two types of faults, permanent and temporary. I suspect this is a temporary otherwise I would be in limp mode :(

I'm wondering if I can continue driving the car (without doing any damage) as the handbook does recommend seeing a dealer when the warning light comes on.

It seems to me that I can, as there are no apparent problems yet BUT I'm interested in your opinions and/or advice that may help me getting this light out.

I look forward to your replies

peterb
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Antipollution warning Light But seems to run OK??

Post by RichardW »

Hi Peter - welcome to the forum.

We don't do negateive comments in here - well not unless you start asking abour Frauds or Vyukhalls anyway :lol:

Permanent faults are those where a sensor has been lost, or gone out of range and satyed there. In this case the light will stay on. Limp mode may not follow depending on what the fault is.

Temporary failuts are those which appear then go away (eg a sensor goes out of range but then comes back in) - in this case the light may well go after a number of starts.

Only way you can tell what it thinks is wrong is to get it on a diagnostic machine - I see you have already set about arranging this. You are unlikely to damage it by continuing to use it - if it thinks it's going really pear shaped it will drop into limp mode.
Richard W
peterb
My Cars:

Post by peterb »

Thanks Richard

Much appreciated - I have only started it once and driven it since the fault light came on so will get it diagnosed.

Ironically had to get the C3 pluriel have a gearbox re programming (went into eco mode) and asked the dealer about alternatives to the lexia. He aid that there are some good diagnostic discs/leads available in addition to lexia which are cheaper.

It would be interesting to get an opinion on this ....

Thanks again

Peter
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Is your C5 the 2.2HDi Peter? Is it the emissions light that has come on or the check engine light? Do you have any receipts for the Eolys fluid being topped up and the system reset?
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
peterb
My Cars:

Post by peterb »

Hi Saab

It's the 2 ltr hdi. From looking at other posts I believe the 2l 110 doesn't have the eolys fluid system ( I could be wrong though!)

The lights that are on are the orange/yellow 'engine light and the service indicator. The lcd dispay reads antipollution fault.

I have not had a reply from the chap I pm'd re the lexia check yet. I had to collect my other citroen after it had a sensodrive problem and asked the dealer whether the lexia 3 was the best for the diagnostics and he said that there are quite a few on ebay that will just as easily identify the codes and then allow me to reset. So I bought an ELM 37 + diagnostic discs to check it out and see how I can go from there.

I'm hoping that the error clears after a few starts....
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Hi Peter,

If the Lexia doesn't materialise I have an Autel scanner that will read & clear fault codes on most PSA cars. I'm near Caistor so possibly not that far from you?
peterb
My Cars:

Post by peterb »

Hi Nick

Thanks for replying. I've send you a private message with details etc

Regards

Peter
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Email sent
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Re alternative diagnostic equipment. Most (all?) diagnostic devices will read the engine codes, that is not enough you need to be able to read sensor data in real time to really understand some faults. Apart from the engine there are several other ECU's that have fault codes, and sensor parameters to read some 25 as I recall on a C5 in executive trim. I doubt that any but the most expensive alternative diagnostic tools will do that. Having looked at specs for other bit's of kit, but not all I havn't seen anything that will do what a clone Lexia will do at anything close to the price.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC