citroen dispatch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rainydays

citroen dispatch

Post by rainydays »

Hi all, hope everyone is well, I am looking for a bit of advice from those that know, if they would be so kind.
I have a V registered citroen dispatch 1.9D with the XUD engine i think. Lately it is becoming harder to start, needing lots of revving just to get it going first thing on a morning. When it has warmed up it appears to be OK apart from feeling a bit sluggish. It also judders when you first set off when it is cold it appears to be more noticeable.
I have recently replaced the glow plugs so i do not think it is anything to do with them.

Anyone had any similar issues and know where to start looking?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Citroën dispatch

Post by RichardW »

Hi Welcome to FCF =D>

Assuming the plugs are working (check they are getting voltage, and it might be worth whipping out one and checking that it actually glows when required), the next is to try pumoing to primer before trying to start (this will highlight an air leak issue). If that doesn't work, then whip the rocker cover off and check the valve clearances.
Richard W
rainydays

Post by rainydays »

I tried priming it tonight before starting and it seemed a little better but still juddered when i set off.
Should the priming bulb be quite stiff when you have put your ignition on, as i was able to press the priming bulb in at least twenty times before it firmed up?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds like you have an air leak then.

Peter
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

WOW pumped 20 times on the bulb,sounds like a big hole dont know about an air leak.
Check the leak off pipes between the injectors they go hard and split easily,infact it sounds like they may need replacing anyway.also all the rubber pipes connecting to and from the diesel pump.
Is the engine dry or does it look damp.Check around the fuel filter casing at the bottom mainly ,any damp here and the seal may have gone.
In day light before you start her up pump the bulb and keep pumping as you check all pipe work and see if you have any bubbles anywhere.
And keep coming back and let us know how you get on.
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

With my car I have had to pump the primer 50 times. Need to prime her most mornings but not all. Still can't see any fuel escaping. It doesn't affect the running at all though, just the starting. Will sort it out one day when I can be bothered.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you can park the car sloping fairly steeply down hill so that the fuel tank is above the engine, where the air is getting in you should have fuel getting out.

Peter
rainydays

Post by rainydays »

Ok guys, thank`s for the speedy replies. Will give your suggestions a go when i get a moment and keep you posted.
rainydays

Post by rainydays »

The van definately starts better when i prime the bulb, but i cannot see any signs of a leak and i cannot see any air in the clear fuel lines.
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Next thing to try is the leak off pipes between the injectors known for cracking and leaking air,wont necessarily leak fuel.And cheap to replace.
rainydays

Post by rainydays »

Hi wotwot, do you know if the leak off pipes are a dealer part or are they stock item from most motor factors?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

rainydays wrote:Hi wotwot, do you know if the leak off pipes are a dealer part or are they stock item from most motor factors?
Most motor factors stock a generic kit comprising a length of suitable pipe and a blanking piece for the end injector. Halfrauds used to do the kit as well but don't know if they still do...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
rainydays

Post by rainydays »

Hi all, not done anything with the van yet as have not had a chance to have a look at it yet, however this morning i looked at the fuel filter housing and there is a drain off on the bottom of the housing and when i undid the nut you could hear air escaping before i finall got diesel to come out.
Is it just the clear flexible pipes that i should be thinking about replacing?
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

The leak off pipes are between the injectors.
The clear pipes you have are more likely the fuel feed pipes which should be ok but checked again after you do the leak off pipes.
And assuming the new leak off pipes did'nt cure the problem.
if your getting air in the fuel filter check the squeezy bulb for splits and the pipes coming to and from it carefully.
rainydays

Post by rainydays »

Hi wotwot, got a leak off pipe kit today, going to tackle the job now. I don`t have a squeezy bulb, it is the one you press.
Thank`s for the advice, much appreciated.