bx estate rear struts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

bx estate rear struts

Post by tomsheppard »

This has been a good week for the car, new front and accumulator spheres got the tick time from 10 to 16 seconds and the new brake valve from 16 to 42 seconds. I am however getting a small amount of return from the rear struts. Can they be rebuilt and as I suspect that they are not the same as a saloon, can they still be obtained?
Having moved my heavy toolbox from back seat to boot, with the engine stopped, it was interesting to see the car self level after about fifteen seconds. I think it is well on the way now to working properly!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Tom -
The rear suspension cylinders are utterly simple -
Only one O-ring tighten the piston in it's cylinder - and the piston directly slides out the cylinder once you have the assembly off the car.
Donno if you can find this O-ring as genuine spare.
Have you tried repeat the leak flow test directly off the rear cylinders return hoses ?
These may be found on the rear subframe tube - each side's cylinder connects to a rubber T - which is the thicker black plastic hose that leads off to the Octopus on front subframe. Should be found at N/S (RHS) of subframe tube.
On the cylinders - it's the sphere most plastic hose into the bellow.
the sphere farmost plastic hose in the bellows is the bellow air vent hose - w/ dead ends in the subframe tube.
You may wish to test the rear HC leak-off flow as well. This is the thinner clear plastic hose also running to the Octopus at front.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Thanks Anders. I am not getting any return from the hc but I suspect that if the strut O ring is available, I shall change them out. I have to get the car up on ramps soon for periodical cleaning of the hc linkages. front struts are a little slow, I have lubed them so I suspect that they will need a rebuild soon. There is no return to tank though so It must be the teflon washer.
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Tom - you are indeed right. The rear cyinders for the estate hold marginally more volume than the hatch and hence are a different part. AFAIR it's a case of main dealer should you need to replace them as new - though I have a spare s/h estate pair, still attached to some hideously rusty spheres (long story). Contact me off-forum if you have any interest in them.
Of course I would take Anders'suggestions and check the leak-back past the piston first. The rear cylinder assembly is about the simplest thing you'll find on a BX...
David
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Dont andyspares stock these? - I haven't checked but my memory is that they stock estate rear struts and they are about £56 + VAT etc each.
Jeremy