Citroen xsara 1.4i 1999 rear break system. help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

superiorzbg
My Cars:

Citroen xsara 1.4i 1999 rear break system. help

Post by superiorzbg »

Hi, I would like to convert my rear drum to brake discs. But unfortunately I cannot find any supplier selling a whole kit. Do you know any online shops pls?

car model: Citroen xsara 1.4i 1999 manual
Philip Cachia
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Citroën xsara 1.4i 1999 rear break system. help

Post by citronut »

i have never done this but would think it would be easier to swap the complete rear axle for one from a XSARA that has disc's already,
if you have any salvage yards local to you,

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If the car is non-ABS then you may have to use the rear brake pressure compensators specifically for disc brakes. They may be different between disc and drum.

ABS sensors may be different and the handbrake operating mechanism may be too... As Malcolm says, better to source all you need from a donor.

In all honestly, rear discs are hardly worth having over a good drum setup. They give all sorts of trouble that drums don't for no real gain. Handbrakes and rear discs are never a good combination :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
superiorzbg
My Cars:

Post by superiorzbg »

Thanks, comments are appreciated :)
Philip Cachia