antifreeze

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

allanmc
My Cars:

antifreeze

Post by allanmc »

drained the cooling system on the on my Xantia 2ltr. hdi 2000 and added new antfreeze can only find one bleed screw on the top of the thermostat housing is there any more also the haynes manual says to seal a bottle onto the filler is this necessary
allan
Xantia 2.0i SX Auto, 1999
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: antifreeze

Post by CitroJim »

There's another that looks like a tyre valve cap on the heater matrix elbow...

This is the important one... If not bled properly you can burn out your electric auxiliary heater if you have one...

You can only bleed it properly using a small header tank on the expansion tank. A small pop bottle with the bottom removed is fine...

Fill the header, remove the cap and replace when water flows freely...

Check all is good by feeling for hot water flow in the matrix pipes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

Thanks Jim, found the bleed screw at the heater pipe as you say just like a valve cap I had a pop bottle which did the trick but had a lot of bother getting it sealed have run the engine untill the fans came on three times and switched off I will leave it untill tomorrow and check the level thanks again
allan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

allanmc wrote: have run the engine untill the fans came on three times
How ?! I'd have to run mine for about three weeks to do that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

It took about an hour but although I dont very much like Haynes I decided to go with what they said
allan
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

allanmc wrote:It took about an hour
It must have been a warm day in Scotland :lol: :lol: :lol:

On an HDi I'm quite satisfied to run it until the thermostat opens and you can confirm a nice warm rad all over and a nice warm heater.. That's good enough for me...

Check the water level again after a good run around and allowing the system to cool right to stone cold...
Jim