Bit of an indulgence (Tool buy)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Bit of an indulgence (Tool buy)

Post by addo »

Shouted myself one of the fancy billet trolley jacks for home use - four wheeled variety, not the three-legged type. So far, quite impressed (1500kg rating). Local price was $220, or about £145.

Definitely not up to fulltime workshop use, but for a hobbyist it seems a viable alternative to a proper workshop jack - without the killer weight.
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Bit of an indulgence (Tool buy)

Post by citronut »

seems quite a lot compaired to this one Adam

http://tinyurl.com/crbtwkd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regards malcolm
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

I always lusted after one of THESE handy for sunken XM's but in the end got one of These, not as flashy but works well and got it for £80 i think, strange my engine hoist cost the same though...................

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Malc, I have to lift my jack out of the corner where it will live, and carry it to the street - driveway being far too sloped for work. 38kg for the Sealey unit is exactly why I didn't buy that sort of kit.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

For recovering sunken Citroens, I have a standard wheel changing jack, as originally supplied with, I think, the Rover 800 series, It has a strange 'rocking' action as it lifts, which enables it to get under the lowest of jacking points. Once high enough, I swap to a standard trolley jack.
I also have a very ancient jack very like a short Acrow prop, with bevelled gear drive at the base, which is ideal for supporting engines etc.