Xantia - steering 'tingle'

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

neilminto

Xantia - steering 'tingle'

Post by neilminto »

2001 'Y' Xantia HDi 110 Estate - 34k miles, owned from new. On its second set of Michelin fronts, original rears.
For a long time now, car has had a very slight 'tingle' - not exactly a vibration, but irritating all the same - of the steering wheel. As if the wheel balance was slightly out - but at all speeds, from slow to fast. Dealer has rebalanced wheels repeatedly, I've also had them done (while watching!) by a good tyre dealer. Dealer has also tried diffrent tyres/wheels from another sales car, changed the steering rack under warranty, changed 4 spheres, etc etc. He's still trying, and seems to want to be helpful, but the problem seems to elude them. Any thoughts, as it enters its last 6 months of warranty...? Hopefully...! Neil
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi Neil, is it road speed related if so it could be drive shaft's, shouldn't be at that mileage but stranger things happen and you don't say they have been changed.
Does it do it stationary, try turning the wheel gently while stood or going at less than walking speed, if its present then I would say it's the pump, with six pistons pulsing away, if one (or more even) is lame then you will very likely feel it through the wheel.
Hehe, yes the dealer will be very helpfull in trying to sort it, but he's probably doing it for his own pocket, warranty work is not stood by them, citroen forks out for that, get it sorted soon because that willingness will more than likely turn into a brick wall.
Lad at work bought a xantia from the local main dealer, they couldn't do enough for him, then the warranty ran out and they couldn't give a **** about him, and they pranged it for him on his last service there the bastards.
Dave
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi Neil,
Have you tried swapping the front for the rear tyres? I had a Mk1 Astra and it had a similar problem and after swapping front for rear the problem seemed to go. The tyres were swapped again and it came back, then just one front tyre was swapped then the other, it was a proccess of illimination but in the end it turned out that one tyres tread was slightly out of line, once the tyre was replaced it was okay.
Another idea would be to get your wheels balanced at a proper tyre place BUT with your wheels still ON your car, if you do this and the driveshafts are out slightly it should balance that out too.
Good luck
neil2

Post by neil2 »

Finally seem to have resolved this one - a new Zone Service manager suggested removing & lubing the front strut top mountings. Couldn't see at all how that would work, but it seems to have done - at least 90% of the tingle is gone... so next step will be 2 new strut top mounts!
Hope that helps if anyone else is experiencing this.