Range of cars with heating/aircon motor from 1996 Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mjkaye

Range of cars with heating/aircon motor from 1996 Xantia

Post by mjkaye »

Hi folks.

I've been phoning 'round scrap yards for a heating/aircon motor from a 1996 Xantia. No luck so far, so I wondering if I could broaden the criteria. IOW, was the same motor used in other Citroens (I believe the 406 motor runs in the other direction and that isn't easy to rectify; sellers on ebay suggest the motor was also in the Berlingo)? Does anyone know during which years the Xantia used the same motor, so I can be less specific about the year?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Michael
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Re: Range of cars with heating/aircon motor from 1996 Xantia

Post by wotwot »

Are you after the heater blower inside the car and the aircon pump is it a diesel or petrol.The heater blower will most likely be the same in most models.
If your after the aircon pump then I would guess most aircon pumps from xantias will fit,
the synergie uses the same engine so could be the same pump. Once people knock off work then you will get more replies but let us know engine type and which you are after.
mjkaye

Post by mjkaye »

Thanks wotwot for helping to clarify things.
wotwot wrote:Are you after the heater blower inside the car and the aircon pump is it a diesel or petrol...
It's a 1.9 litre turbo-diesel.

I think I'm after the heater blower. The main problem is that the air isn't blown onto the inside of the windscreen to clear it, and heat isn't blown into the car, apart from the odd occasion when it feels like working. (the fan comes on once in a blue moon, sometimes when we go over a bump, sometimes when we first set off, sometimes for no apparent reason; that can last for a week or half-an-hour)

The guy from the garage said that it's the motor because when he bashes it, it starts (it would help if I knew where exactly the thing was that he bashed). He said that the motors in the aircon models are a lot more expensive, which is why I'm looking at scrap yards. I have it in my head that the same motor (and fan?) pushes the heated air as the air-conditioned air, but I can't quite remember why I think that. It might explain why the aircon version was different and more expensive, though.

Are there any other details that would help?

Thanks.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Citroen call it an 'air puller', I can't see anything on Berlingos that's a match and there are differences on the various Xantia specs maybe this will help.

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Seem to remember a post somewhere on here.
There can be a problem with the wiring on the passenger side broken wires I think, hopefully somebody may remember this and point you in the right direction.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I believe the XM is the same but they are rarer than Xantia's!

Peter
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The power comes through the ignition switch which can burn out so best to fit the relay mod, then to the control module on the blower via the brown plug which can burn out leading to poor contact, then to the motor terminal and the brushes which wear down but I believe can be replaced.
So there are various places to check for electrical faults along the way.
Make up a test wire (that can cope with 30A) and connect it to the +ve motor terminal and battery to check if it is actually a problem with the blower rather than the usual wiring.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

The other dodgy place is the red 5 pin plug on the base of the blower motor.. Un plug it and check the connections.. From the sound of it thumping it to work sounds like it can be this as a faulty board wither gives full blast or nothing at all all the time... Ive fouund a few of the red plugs with dodgy connectors.. Either from arching througha loose connection and it starts to melt the wire....

Id look here before swapping motors as well as xacs sugestion above.

Xm motors look identical but blow the wrong way i beleve its the position they are placed in the heater box.. If the blower is next to the heater box it blows in one direction. . If the blower is at the far side.. Ie. Nearer the passenger door it blows the other..

Xsara and 306 blowers should also work as i fitted a xantia blower to a 2000 x reg xsara... Most xsaras have air con too as well as phase 3 pug 306s

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

if I knew where exactly the thing was
Inside the felt cover under the dash above the passenger’s floor.
First look at the plug, as per above.

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
mjkaye

Post by mjkaye »

Wow, you guys really know your stuff!

Thank you, Clogzz, for helping me find the blower. I can confirm that it does start if I bash it - slowly at first and then builds up. I've had a look at the plug, citroenxm, and the connections look okay to my untrained eye.

Interestingly, the felt cover isn't there, and wasn't when we bought the car about a year ago. The wires running to the blower have some weird tape on (not insulation tape) that I haven't been able to remove, but it doesn't look to me as if the wires have been spliced.

Good suggestion, Xac, with the test wire. I'll see if I can get hold of one this weekend.

Thanks, Gibbo2286, for confirming that the aircon version is different. I wonder if a non-aircon version can be fitted and the aircon just bypassed.

On the off-chance it really is the motor that needs replacing, can anyone else confirm that the Xsara and 306 blowers would work?

I was originally asking about the replacement motor so I could get the garage to fit it - I'm a computer geek rather than a DIY enthusiast. However, reading this, the electronics I did at college is coming back to me.

Thanks all again for your help.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Don't forget when testing you want to take a feed to where the single red thick wire goes on the motor, not where the brown 4 wire plug is.

DIY sphere tool
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Meaning this wire:

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Clogzz wrote:Meaning this wire:

Yes, the red one in the image, not the ringed contacts :)

DIY sphere tool
mjkaye

Post by mjkaye »

Thank you, Clogzz and Xac, for making that nice and clear for me. :-) (and, yes, I did do a double-take with the ringed contacts)

I happened to be in Maplin the other day and tried to buy some 30a wire, but they claimed they didn't have any. However, today I've used their web site to reserve some http://www.maplin.co.uk/high-current-wire-50-0.25-6200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at the same shop, so hopefully they'll know what I'm talking about this time.

While I'm here, do I want to connect the wire only after the engine's running, before I start the engine, or not start the engine at all?

Thanks,

Michael
CitroenCrazy
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2000 Xantia Estate Exclusive, HDi
1999 Xantia Estate Exclusive, HDi,
C6 2.2 Manual
They're the modern ones.....

Post by CitroenCrazy »

Not sure whether this is of any use, but I'll venture it anyway - Comparison between XM and Xantia

The heater assembly is essentially the same.

The motor on the XM is the same as the Xantia. What's different is the plastic fan itself, in that the blades are oriented the other way, hence swapping the assembley from an XM into a Xantia causes the cabin air to be blown out over the bonnet. Not too good for demisting then.

However, it does mean that, assuming the fan could be swapped, the motor itself is interchangeable with the Xantia, as is the controller.