2001 C5 V6 - oil check using dip stick

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sonoramicommando
My Cars: 1991 Citroen XM 2.0 carb manual

2001 C5 V6 - oil check using dip stick

Post by sonoramicommando »

Hi all,
A bit frustrated with this, I'm trying to check oil level but for some reason, the oil residue on the dip stick shows up about full on the front side and half full on the back side of the dip stick surface.
Has anyone had this before?
I'm trying to get it right and also compare against the oil level meter, because it seems like overfilled in the past, so i drained about 1-1¼ litre out.
Cheers
Sam
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
mongoose100
My Cars:

Re: 2001 C5 V6 - oil check using dip stick

Post by mongoose100 »

Do you also notice that when you first pull it up, there is NO oil on it???
Makes me wonder if there is some sort of valve in there
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
1994 Citroën Xantia 1.9TD
sonoramicommando

^ Hmm I haven't noticed that because I discount the first read anyway. I'll have to pay attention next time.
But the subsequent reads actually vary every time I pull it out.
I tried different dip stick orientations (i.e. dip stick width in fore-aft and sideways directions), it didn't seem to make difference.
One thing I noticed is, the oil level gauge now reads about full or one mark down from full, whereas it showed empty before (when I suspected it to be overfilled).
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

My gauge always shows empty and flashes but never gives a low oil warning on the central display.
Dipstick always varies too...

Best just to do a pre start up reading in the morning tho
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The 'official' method is to check the level 10 minutes after switching off a hot engine.

I agree though, the V6 dipstick is a bit of a guessing game at the best of times.

The capacity of the engine is 5.25 litres. I put 5 litres in at an oil change and that seems fine. I reckon a good 0.25 litres of the oil oil gets left behind...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
sonoramicommando

Thanks guys - I thought I was going insane there for a while.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

Is that supposidly more 'official' than pre start in the morning???

The odd thing with mine is the oil level gauge always shows empty in the car - "Apparently" the 'Service' light pops up and displays 'Oil Level Low', or words to that effect... Do they share the same sensor or are there two different ones?

Assuming that one of mine has gone west...
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I would assume the same sensor. In our experience of Xantia ones they only work 100% properly on old-school mineral oil and can tell porkies when there's synth or semi-synth oil in the sump..

Worth checking the wiring to the sensor too. It passes by some hot places and might be shorting to the block...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mongoose100
My Cars:

Post by mongoose100 »

Now you've got me started on another topic... The ES9's oil; Mineral or synthetic?

Heard a great horror story today about synthetics - if you dont let them cool down after a hard run like you would in a turbocharged car, the flowability (spelling) is so great when hot that it literally flows straight back to the sump - Dry start next time
Regan.

2001 Citroën C5 V6
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mongoose100 wrote: the flowability (spelling) is so great when hot that it literally flows straight back to the sump - Dry start next time
I can believe that! Thus no boundary layer left for the next cold start. fact is, these Carlos Super Fandango oils are made for use in very modern engines made to very fine tolerances and for all it being an excellent engine I don't really think it falls into this category.

A lot of people caught colds by trying to use fully synthetics in old British engines. They were designed for 20W/50 and are not happy on anything less.

Against that background I'm a great one for using what the maker recommends. I rarely use even semi (unless it's at a bargain price) and tend to use medium quality stuff with frequent change intervals.
Jim

sonoramicommando

ok i tried checking the dipstick 10 minutes after engine off - the first read showed no oil at all! second and third reads had oil on half way mark but more importantly, it was same on both sides of the dipstick, so i guess it's the way to go. BUT! the oil level gauge shows 5 out of 6.
it might have been at the correct oil level after all!
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

When I had my E30 M3 I contacted BMW technical about whether to use Castrol GTX2 or the higher spec fully synthetic version, they advised GTX 2 as it has the correct viscosity so don't be fooled by buying the most expensive oil.

When it comes to dipsticks and oil level it's now quite common on many engines for the first reading upon pulling out the dipstick to be very low making it essential to take at least two readings to ensure accuracy. It's possibly due to modern engines having sealed crankcases to reduce emission's which then causes a vacuum when the engine cools down etc.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH