Tips for fitting BX Turbo Diesel Exhaust

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AlanBP
My Cars:

Tips for fitting BX Turbo Diesel Exhaust

Post by AlanBP »

Hi
I have the misfortune of having to fit a down-pipe to my TZD soon as the current one is looking more & more like a flute!!
I did the pipe on my N/A 1.7D BX in January & that was a scutter & with that I could actually reach the exhaust bolts from the top. From looking at the joint from underneath I can't see how I can access the bolts on the drivers side easily.
Bearing in mind I will be working on my own , how feasible is it to do this, I always fit new bolts etc as well, to avoid the frustrating situation of just getting your hands in a confined space & then finding the nut is a sod to get onto the bolt.
Truth is its about a £25 differential between fitting it myself & giving it to a fast-fit.
Cheers in advance
Alan P
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Alan,
Surprisingly it's not that bad! With the car in the air you will find that you can reach over the top of the turbo with your left hand to get a spanner on the back of the bolt (10mm from memory - when I did the head gasket on mine I refitted the exhaust and the a couple of days later went to reconnect the battery and couldn't find my 10mm spanner anywhere - eventually found it still on the bolt!) - once in place you can jam the spanner against the block or bulkhead whilst you unscrew the nut. You will need about 18" of socket extension though!
When I had to have a new pipe on my Xantia TD recently I took one look at the (lack of) access for the bolts and took it straight round to National Tyres....
Richard
Jon

Post by Jon »

I use a 10mm 1/4" drive socket with square flanks on a small 1/4" drive T bar, works a treat and grips much better than the spanner.