Removal of FAP

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sirlynedoch

Removal of FAP

Post by sirlynedoch »

Hi ,

Can anyone advise if the FAP filter is removed from a diesel C5 , will the vehicle run badly?

Thanks in advance.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Removal of FAP

Post by DickieG »

Yes it will eventually as it will put the car into limp home mode.

Having studied this subject at length the only way I can see to get around it is to invest in a Galetto cable and download software from Ecosafe, simply using a Lexia won't work as I've tried that method.

I'm involved in an ongoing situation on this very subject with a 2.2 C5 at the moment and the signs are looking good ATM although before declaring a complete victory on the subject more miles need to be completed to confirm the above method.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
sirlynedoch

Post by sirlynedoch »

Hi,
When you say limp mode , what exactly does that mean? My car will not rev above 4000rpm presently and is underpowered- FAP has been removed.

Thanks.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

sirlynedoch wrote:When you say limp mode , what exactly does that mean? My car will not rev above 4000rpm presently and is underpowered
That is limp mode, the engine does not produce full power and will not rev beyond a certain point which in the case of your car is 4,000rpm.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

limp mode , what exactly does that mean?
A reduced power, get-you-home (but not fast) mode.

Far as I know, the car puts itself into that mode of running (to avoid damaging the engine) -- when there's feedback from various sensors which suggest something's not right -- which would include if the electronics still at least partly think the DPF/FAP is there (although it isn't) and needs a clean.
To stop the electronics getting confused that way, they need to be re-programmed to tell them not to bother about the FAP any more. A bonus of such re-mapping is that control of the engine is usually altered to better settings than it originally had (presumably to allow for lower grade fuel in some other countries).
There's more to it than just "on or off" for any component -- various settings have to be matched up with each other.
As a result, the engine might run more smoothly, puts out more power and/or does more mpg as well.

(sorry if that's not a sensible explanation, best I could do :oops: )
sirlynedoch

Post by sirlynedoch »

Hi again,
Does it have to be a Galletto cable? And where exactly is the software?
Thanks.