Xantia brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stekelly
My Cars: 2022 Trafic work van
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
98 Xantia Activa (briefly)
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Xantia brakes

Post by Stekelly »

Having brake issues with my 1.8 16v. Since I put it back on the road 6 months or so ago the ABS light comes on more and more often, to the point where its on 80-90% of the time now. I have 2 new front sensors to fit if thats the issue but a more pressing one has arisen in the last week or so.Twice, a few days apart when I went to brake after a bit of driving the brakes felt like they werent there at all and started to judder fairly violently up through the peddle, Really standing on them stops the car ( dodesnt jam on , just slows to a stop). Today it happened twice .

It failed its last test because theres a brake imbalance (passenger side down 40%). I'm looking in to at least changing the passenger caliper or trying to fit a set of Activa hub carriers and calipers I got off Rob.

I doubt it matters but theres hydraflush in it at the minute.

Any ideas?

Edit. Another thing I forgot too is that at relatively low speeds, say under 30ish if i dab the brakes it feels like it bangs. Feels like its coming from the drivers side and like everything is moving a bit when I do it.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: Xantia brakes

Post by Xantidote »

Can't help you with the ABS problem, but running with Hydroflush in the system shouldn't be the problem. Like many others on the Forum, I ran my car for about 1k miles with Hydroflush in the system, with no adverse issues. No air in the system when you drained the old LHM and refilled with the Hydroflush?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Shoudlnt be any air in it, I bled loads form the sysem when fillign with hydraflush. It's been in 1500-2000 miles now so due to come out anyway. think I'll leave it sittign till Sunday and do it then, I've a match tomorrow so doub I'll get to do it then.

The issue seems to only happen at low speed. The couple of times in the last week it happened were while slowing to turn in to the driveway.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

This thread should be the starting point for the ABS issues :wink: ---> Xantia Rear ABS Sensor Renewal
First measure if the ABS sensors are healthy before attempting to change them :)

Usually ABS kicking at low speeds (almost before complete stop) is because the ABS ECU gets conflicting readings from sensors which makes the "brain" to think that one of the wheels is blocked!

(Related to this case) If you had one of these jobs done recently:
- drive shaft removed and fitted
- brake disk renewal
- wheel bearing renewal
then check the air gap of the front sensors.
The distance between sensor tip and the toothed ring must be same in both.

Also make sure that ABS ring is a whole ring without any loose or missing parts on it.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Small bit of back story. The ABS light has been comign on since I got the car nearly 3 years ago. Up until it was off the road for 2 years it only came on if I went around 100mph, so not often at all. I changed the discs and pads shortly after I got the car. Theres less than 10k miles on them.

I changed the wishbone bush and droplink on the drivers side a few motnhs back so was pulling at the shaft a bit while moving it around. The abs rngs do look fairly corroded and Im goign to pick up new ones on ebay, in fact I think ill buy them now.
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

I solved the kicking problem in mine just by installing the heat shield correctly which also
comes to the sensor screw.

The correct order from lowest was: ABS sensor + heat shield + screw,
but not Heat shield + ABS sensor + screw.
I can check tomorrow but until then you can also check from yours.
The difference in the gap caused by the heat shield (~ 2mm) does matter :roll:

Gently cleaning the ring with brake cleaner and a soft copper brush helps a lot.
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Violent kicking up through the pedal is a symptom linked to a broken abs reluctor ring on the drive shaft, before you do anything else best check that none of them are split and turning loosely on the shaft.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Stekelly
2017 Kadjar

Previous
06 C5 1.6 HDI
00 Xantia 1.8
00 Clio 1.2
97 Partner van
97 Safrane 2.5 Auto
94 Safrane 2.0

Post by Stekelly »

Gibbo2286 wrote:Violent kicking up through the pedal is a symptom linked to a broken abs reluctor ring on the drive shaft, before you do anything else best check that none of them are split and turning loosely on the shaft.

I'll be havign a look at them tomorrow. I ordered 2 last night aswell so one way or another im going to change them.
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I have experienced this 'no brakes' situation myself... definately ABS fault and bloody dangerous too. If you must drive the car then I would disable the ABS (pull the fuse) until you can get it fixed..
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
Diabolical
My Cars:

Post by Diabolical »

f00lzz wrote:I have experienced this 'no brakes' situation myself... definately ABS fault and bloody dangerous too. If you must drive the car then I would disable the ABS (pull the fuse) until you can get it fixed..
Had the same happening on a CX Scary. No brakes until I got to 20MPH.

I unplugged sensor plug under the bonnet so no ABS until I replaced sensor, after I found out which one it was, that sorted it.

Not something you want to hear, I replaced rear sensor on my Xantia. Was difficult job, had to drill out then shave out with small chisel, then getting plug back into car under back seats :x took me 3 hours.

Hopefully your problem is front one.
06 C5 2.0L HDi Exclusive Estate 20020k and rising. :-)
1987 Citroen CX Prestige. De Corps Brun Maya - cuir blond tabac, très chic
08 Jaguar X-Type 3.0V6 Sovereign Estate - Green (HGZ) - Leather Ivory seats.

citroencx.co.uk