vibration 65-70mph

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citrov6
My Cars:

vibration 65-70mph

Post by citrov6 »

Wonder if there are any theories for what this might be. I think it is the front wheels start hopping up and down and steering wheel shaking at these speeds, Above or below it disapears again like resonance. It does have aftermarket wheels but they're all balanced. Also front end has some creaking when lowering but goes up and down smoothly. I did oil and get rust out of the rear height correct just before winter, the rear was making creaking also and has improved in rear stability. I'm thinking I will have a look at the front height corrector when I can locate it and if everything seems alright will look at changing the spheres... What else should I be checking for? Thanks
Love my black v6 xant - only one with cream coloured leather too!
mlkey

Re: vibration 65-70mph

Post by mlkey »

I had the same issue on both my current C5 and my previous one. I only recently got it solved. I paid to have the wheels road force balanced, it was £15 a wheel, but for the first time in 4 years, no more steering wheel shake or feeling it through the seat. The symptoms were as you described, starting at around 65 mph, with the ability to drive through it. I have a list somewhere of all the places nationwide that can do this special balance. If you let me know where you are, I can give you the details.

The C5 now feels as though it is on rails at any speed, needless to say I will always have the wheels balanced in this way each time I replace the tyres now.

Hope that helps.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Couple of decades ago, I had a wheel balancing problem, but went to a different tyre place and they/their equipment did a better job - problem solved. I concluded that some tyre fitters/equipment better than others.

Picked up 4 steel wheels recently, off a scrap Xsara Picasso, and noticed that each wheel only had a small balance weight on the one rim. My regular tyre place will add balance weights to each rim.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Probably 95% of vibration problems are wheel balance related although sometimes its the tyres that are at fault, you can get bulges due to ply seperation which can change depending on the speed of rotation, but a good wheel balancing job will probably cure it.

Peter
MPV

Post by MPV »

Recently I've lots of problems getting wheels balanced properly - I had the same problem of vibration between 65 and 70 on one car and 70 to 75 on another of my cars. Had the wheels balanced at several different places and it didn't solve the problem. In the last 18 months I've had about 18 wheels balanced and only 4 were right first time. It's only been through going back again and again and speaking to the manager, making him supervise what's being done that I've got them sorted. Often I've had wheels balanced and the fitter insisting they are right, then taken the car down the road and it's shaking around all over the place. Then the fitter has put the wheels back on the machine and, what a surprise, they are out. There are also different settings on the machine, coarse and fine. Generally they only do the coarse setting. Keep going back until it's right, don't be afraid to go back. If it's a franchise like HiQ or Kwik Fit and you suspect their machine, go to a different branch with your receipt and get them to check it there.

It's expensive these days to get wheels balanced and more often than not, it's not done properly. Remember what it will cost you if you have to replace steering or other parts because your wheels are out.
Synergie XUD9 - the "Duck-billed-clatterbus"
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

Cheers think I will try one on Mikeys list MPV, better odds of it being right this time.

Mikey I'm just north of birmingham near burton on trent, the wheels are aftermarket so don't need the special machine.

Hope its not ply seperation Peter.N, tyres are hankooks they did have some issues years ago but they're made by yokohama and think they solved it fast, anyway I'll get the garage Mikey gives me the name to check the tyres too

Think I'm coming to the same conclusion Xantidote, going to use this new place Mikey gives me.
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

citrov6 wrote: Hope its not ply seperation Peter.N, tyres are hankooks they did have some issues years ago but they're made by yokohama and think they solved it fast,
It doesn't have to be a manufacturing fault.

If something sticks in the tread, but not deep enough to cause puncture and deflation, it can let water in which slowly rusts the steel belts, then you get delamination. Or an actual repair gradually lets air in between layers and you get a blister
mlkey

Post by mlkey »

I used to use the same place every time for tyres, and even trying alternative places, still had issues. Having the road force balance involves more than just weights, and because of the extra cost and the guarantee given, they can not get away with saying a weight had come off etc. I will hunt the list down before the weekend for you.

Regards.
mlkey

Post by mlkey »

Found the list, will PM it over.
Last edited by mlkey on 04 Jan 2012, 05:37, edited 2 times in total.
citrov6
My Cars:

Post by citrov6 »

You are the man Mikey, going to go see what they can do for my wheels tomorrow

Thats a bit worrying Andy5, see what they say tomorrow
startrek
New User

Post by startrek »

rget the rear wheels balanced ----happened 2 me