Pug 307HDI SW

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul240480
My Cars:

Pug 307HDI SW

Post by Paul240480 »

Well I have not been here much.... Not needed help since:
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=26042" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, now Cheryl my daughter appears to have a problem with her 307HDI SW. Tis a 2006 model IIRC. During the 1yr warranty, one morning the battery failed whilst the car was at home. Dealer came out, checked the charging system, which he gave the "ok" and put a 'new' battery in. All sorted then. Well this was 8 months or so ago. I have no knowledge of wether the replacement was a brand new, or just a 'gooden' taken off another car on the lot.

Last week Cheryl left work around 2100hrs to find the battery dead. Friends tried to jump it but failed to get it to start. Left it overnight (boyfriend rescued her). Next day I took her in, called out recovery. Chap tested battery 7.5 volts. He started it with his leads. 13.5v with lights on. Charging system okay then?

We drove it to Peugeot and they tested it with their Bosch mega-tester. By this time the battery was 83% charged. Chapsaid ideally we need to leave it for an hour and then test again . So we left it. One hour later another test and the chap said it was fine. It has been fine since.

Tonight, when Cheryl was again on late shift, she went to start and the battery was dead! Boyfriend has rescued her again , and I shall take her in tomo' and see what Peugeot have to say....

Just wondered if any of you knowledgeable chaps know of any 'common' faults with these models that cause the battery to flatten randomly?
I have learnt lots of little "tricks' on my Volvo forum and hoping you chaps might have some ideas on this matter.

Anyway, thanks for reading my ramble :-D
Regards.
Paul240480
http://www.gitessouthbrittany.com/Car.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Birdman
My Cars:

Re: Pug 307HDI SW

Post by The Birdman »

Check the light in the boot isn`t staying on after you turn off.
For what we are about to receive may we be truly thank full.

http://www.citroencodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.peugeotcodes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul240480
My Cars:

Post by Paul240480 »

Well, I got up bright and early to take Cheryl into work. Breakdown/recovery was booked for 0900hrs. When he arrived it started 1st time. Then continued to start perfectly 7 or 8 times....... :twisted:
So left Cheryl to go into work and drove it to the Pug mainstealer. They must have started and stopped it another 10 times after me driving it the 1/2 mile to get there . Perfect everytime :twisted:
They wanted to send me on my way, but after explaining that this was the second time in a week that my daughter has been stranded at 2100hrs in the middle of a city he sort of understood our concerns....
Anyway the car has been left with them and they are going to do a diagnostic...... No guarantee of her getting the car back today, so looks like I shall be doing another 70 mile round trip later in my trusty 23 yr old beast to collect her :roll:
PS: Boot light functioning normally, thanks.
Paul240480
http://www.gitessouthbrittany.com/Car.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Intermittent electrical faults were the bain of my life when I was repairing TVs, on modern cars they can be even worse, obviously something is staying/coming on and draining the battery. If its running it down in a few hours it must be a pretty hefty discharge so something should be getting hot - unless its the glow plugs coming one. As a temporary measure the battery could be disconnected whie its parked.

Peter
Paul240480
My Cars:

Post by Paul240480 »

Thanks, that is a good idea. She did nip out during her break time mid afternoon yesterday, and it was fine. It was only left about 4 hrs from the break till home time, so yeh quite a hefty discharge as you say.

I have just had this snippet of info on another forum, anyone here heard of such an issue on these Pugs?

Just a thought - does she have a spare key?
I don't know about her particular model but I have read that sometimes the fob contains one half of the immobiliser. Occasionally there can be a problem when the other half in the ignition column does not recognise the key (intermittent). It can be an expensive fix but if she has a spare key she can try using that for a while and see if the fault re-occurs.

Thanks.
Paul240480
Paul240480
My Cars:

Post by Paul240480 »

Well the garage has done the diagnostic, they find no faults on that score.

They reckon rear tyres need replacing and 'something' on the timing belt run is making an odd noise, so the it needs a new belt kit.

They suggested fitting a new battery as a 'preventative measure' . Cheryl has decided to go with that. It was 75€ for the diagnostic and 153€ for a fitted battery, they said as she had gone for the battery, the diagnostic will be no charge ( phew). They, to cover their backs are noting on the bill that the battery is preventative and not a solution mind. So they are sort of accepting that there is a fault, but that they cannot find one really. The beauty of the intermittent fault eh?

Going back to the key, she bought the car from another Maindealer nearer to home. When he got the car the 'blipper' key was missing, and he had to order a new one from Peugeot. Cheryl got the new key two or so weeks after purchase. So it maybe that the original was faulty and maybe this one too. Long shot, but I have suggested that she runs it on the other key for a while
She will have the car back tonight, luckily no late shifts till next week now .
Fimgers crossed
Paul240480
Paul240480
My Cars:

Post by Paul240480 »

Well, Cheryl made it home and we seem to be onto something. A new battery was fitted . When the garage chap took her to the car, he opened the door and suddenly the cooling fan started up. Engine cold. Another mechanic came over as he had been looking at it earlier. So it appears that the cooling fan is randomly cutting in as and when it wants too!
It is going back in tomorrow for them to sort it. The original battery is on charge and if it is okay they said she can have it back and have a refund if she wants. Good service.
Tonight the battery is disconnected, just in case.
I looked at the rear tyres and they are near to the tread wear indicators no immediate rush, but winter is upon us......
Cam belt noise, this is a sort of metallic ish clunk shortly after starting up, say 5 seconds and only does it once . Almost like something 'taking up tension ' if that makes sense. Cheryl reckons it has done it for ages and thought it normal.
Thanks, hopefully the fan issue will be resolved . The rest will be sorted at next service which is due in 2000kms.
Thanks.
Paul240480
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Paul240480 wrote: Cam belt noise, this is a sort of metallic ish clunk shortly after starting up, say 5 seconds and only does it once . Almost like something 'taking up tension ' if that makes sense. Cheryl reckons it has done it for ages and thought it normal.
Air con cutting in?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The fan coming on would do it, heat is then being dissapated as fast as its being produced. Sounds like you've have found it.

Peter
Paul240480
My Cars:

Post by Paul240480 »

Okay, think this has been solved. Car went back to the garage & they have replaced a sensor (not sure exactly which one :oops: ). This was around 2 weeks ago now & all has been well since. They had also charged up her 'old' battery & decided it was fine. So they took back the 'new battery' & deducted the cost of that from the sensor replacement job. Result was only needing to pay another 20€ or so, Good service. Oh they gave it a wash too!
We have decided the 'click' which they claimed to be a 'cambelt issue' is (thanks 'myglaren') the aircon, as Cheryl has left it on 'auto' for a while. Switching it off completely and the 'clunk' is not there. Guess the garage were trying it on on that score :roll: .
Anyways, all seems well in '307sw World'. A service is due in 2k Kms. It will go back to the supplying mainstealer nearer to us & we will ask if cambelt is due then :-D
Thanks.
Paul240480