A Few Xantia Questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

i3
My Cars:

A Few Xantia Questions

Post by i3 »

Hey all,
have a few questions regarding my newly acquired vehicle :-D
It's another xantia, again a 2.1td, silver, again, but this time it's an exclusive opposed to the last vsx.
There's a few things which am hoping to sort out/understand:

- the wipers on intermittent, they don't seem to be functioning properly: they wipe on first switch, then wipe irregularly thereafter.
- the alarm will sound randomly when locked using the button on key fob: sometime after a few mins, sometimes a little longer. this is problematic, i want to use the keyfob button rather than the key to lock and unlock, but i cant as if i am going away from the car, i will have to come back to deactivate the alarm sounding.
- can't tell if the drivers heated seat work: i don't think it does. if so, is there a fix?
- is it possible for a different clarion cd changer to be fitted? the one with the blue rectangular 12 pin male, rather than the regular 13 pin din female?

there were a few other things, but i can't remember right now,,, only had this one for 3 days now :)

thanks
isa
'97 Xantia 2.1TD VSX - Left in 2011
'98 Xantia MK2 2.1TD Exclusive - Arrived in 2011
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Re: A Few Xantia Questions

Post by davoxx »

how long was it off the road?
why?
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

not sure... it has tax and mot, both until around feb/march. i think the previous owner parked it up recently, as in last month or so...
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

- the alarm will sound randomly when locked using the button on key fob: sometime after a few mins, sometimes a little longer. this is problematic, i want to use the keyfob button rather than the key to lock and unlock, but i cant as if i am going away from the car, i will have to come back to deactivate the alarm sounding.
silly question - are all the windows closed?

[
quote]- can't tell if the drivers heated seat work: i don't think it does. if so, is there a fix?
they break very very easily.
yes there is a fix ... but it is hard ... you need to strip the chair and fix the heating element.

- is it possible for a different clarion cd changer to be fitted? the one with the blue rectangular 12 pin male, rather than the regular 13 pin din female? [/quote]
possibly .. you'll need an adaptor though.

enjoy the car :)
why?
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

Whenever i have had a problem with my alarm it has always stemmed to the bonnet switch, might be worth checking that, is clipped into the bonnet catch, try removing it all together and then locking the car and if that sorts it then buy another switch, or just leave it off permenantly
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

the heated seats are not a priority at the moment,,,but will look into it further after the alarm issue is sorted, thanks davoxx

the windows were open the first time it happened. the second time, i thought they were, bur not sure...and the third time was a test, so all windows were closed etc. the rear o/s window isn't working, could this affect it? is there a temp fix to just bypass/deactivate the alarm and still have remote central locking from the current fob?

how exactly do i check the bonnet switch? and how do i remove it altogether?

the car locks when i use the key with no probs, its just using the button on the key fob which is giving me problems.

thanks
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

i3 wrote:the heated seats are not a priority at the moment,,,but will look into it further after the alarm issue is sorted, thanks davoxx

the windows were open the first time it happened. the second time, i thought they were, bur not sure...and the third time was a test, so all windows were closed etc. the rear o/s window isn't working, could this affect it? is there a temp fix to just bypass/deactivate the alarm and still have remote central locking from the current fob?

how exactly do i check the bonnet switch? and how do i remove it altogether?

the car locks when i use the key with no probs, its just using the button on the key fob which is giving me problems.

thanks

to be honest .. i had this alarm problem too ... but i 'solved' it by hoovering the car ... yes i gave the car a good clean and it seemed to fix it ... but thinking back .. it might have been the bonnet switch ...
why?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Wipers - I'd imagine it's got rain sensitive wipers so no intermittent :(
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

worth checking the boot catch switch for the alarm, on mine (S2 estate) the catch has worn down and doesnt push the switch for the alarm in anymore!
worth checking the bonnet catch too though,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

bonnet catch feeds into the bottom of the bonnet catch, just get your head under the bonnet and follow the wire to the switch(if it has one). Its just a push fit so may have become dislodged
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The alarm issue could be the bonnet or boot switch but generally if they are the cause the alarm will sound a brief bleep when locking the car with the remote to signify an open door, although if the switch is right on the cusp of switching it can set the alarm off later. A rather more common cause of false alarms is the ultrasonic sensors, to test whether they are the source of the problem press their disable switch to the right of the steering column, thankfully as your car is an S2 it records the last 15 causes of what set the alarm to go off which can then be accessed/read by a Lexia which will also give the opportunity to observe what state each door switch is in, definitely worth the effort of finding a Lexia owner to sort out alarm problems.

Re the wipers its as Xac states, they are rain sensitive but to turn then on you must manually turn them on each time after the car has started, simply leaving the wiper switch on between engine starts won't work.

Heated seats again as davoxx mentioned, the elements in the seat pad.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

which oil should be used in this engine?
thanks
i3
My Cars:

Post by i3 »

are all the engine oil dipsticks the same on the xantias? if not, which have the same as this 2.1td? the one on this is broken, and i fear there may not be any 2.1 engined xantias in local scrappies...
thanks
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Don’t know if all dipsticks are the same, but wouldn’t expect so.
Mine had the yellow top dissolve and let the grotty fumes out, :evil: then next it clunked down onto metal.
I replaced the top with the cork of a plonk bottle until I got a new stick from the dealer for like £10.

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389