peugeot partner van 2.0 hdi

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

scottishpaul

peugeot partner van 2.0 hdi

Post by scottishpaul »

ive got a van at the moment and its starting and running for a 2-3 mins but after that just cuts out its not taking the throtle very will too ive had to open a injector to get fuel up some times at the rail anyone got any ideas where to start or what to change paul
pug 306 -turbo d 1993 -2001 xantia hdi 90 bhp -2000 partner van 2.0 hdi 90bhp
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: peugeot partner van 2.0 hdi

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Paul

I have an Hdi in a 406 but so far its never gone wrong so I don't have a lot of experience, but from general diesel practise it sounds like a restriction in the fuel supply. Has the fuel filter been changed recently? Could possibly that the fuel tank air vent is blocked although I would have thought it would have run for longer than a few minutes but its worth undoing the cap and see if it makes any difference. I'm sure someone will be along with some better suggestions.

Peter
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Most HDi's have a primary fuel lift pump in the fuel tank, when this stops working the engine generally doesn't start however I'm wondering whether in your instance the pump may be on its way out and intermittent in operation, when you turn the ignition on without starting you should hear this pump buzzing away gently in the background, if however you hear a grumbling/rumbling noise I'd suspect that pump to possibly be the source of the problem.

If that's OK, when you turn the engine off does it continue to run for say a second longer than you'd expect as in a delayed response to the key movement? If so that points to a fuel pressure problem which can be down to the fuel pump pressure sensor which is located on the end of the pump or the fuel rail pressure sensor located just slightly to the nearside of centre on the fuel rail.

A test well worth going through is the "Wiggle Test" as in remove and check the condition of all sensors around the engine concentrating on the two I've mentioned, wiggle each connector in turn, sometimes the most simplest of tasks sorts out such seemingly difficult problems.

Failing all of the above a session with a diagnostic tool such as Peugeot Planet or Citroen Lexia will be of great assistance in finding any recorded codes and having the ability to observe the information flowing to and from the engine ECU.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
scottishpaul

Post by scottishpaul »

i must admit the pump in the tank is making dreadful racket very loud when pumping pressure sounds like it might have to be tank out the motor last thing i wanted to do thanks for all advice paul
pug 306 -turbo d 1993 -2001 xantia hdi 90 bhp -2000 partner van 2.0 hdi 90bhp