Xantia Interior Heater Fan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Xantia Interior Heater Fan

Post by ecohouse1 »

Sorry to ask this as I know it is a common query, but I searched and there seems to be a number of variations to this fault.

On my Series 2 TD estate, the interior heater fan operates only at the max setting - on max power, if I try & reduce to half power it just seems to go off. If I put it to Auto - sometimes it runs on max & other times it appears to be off!!

Is there a common culprit for this I can look at?

Many thanks in advance

Alan
xmexclusive

Re: Xantia Interior Heater Fan

Post by xmexclusive »

No intermediate fan speeds usually turns out to be the fan controller module darlington transistors faulty.

John
Xmexclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yep.

Peter
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

xmexclusive wrote:No intermediate fan speeds usually turns out to be the fan controller module darlington transistors faulty.

John
But those transistors also switch the maximum speed, so if the fan speed control has any effect, then the transistors are OK.

Does the fan stop completely when set to auto, or is it just not moving enough air? If the latter, then the firsst thing to do is replace the pollen filter.
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

I do not agree that you can give the transistors a clean bill of health from full speed fan running.
While the Darlington transistors can fail as totally dead they usually fail so that the fan still gives full speed or off.
I agree with checking the simple things first before replacing the transistors or the fan control module.

John
Xmexclusive
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Are you certain it is going off? Quite often you can only hear them running when on full or nearly full speed.
Half setting for instance still blows air but you're not likley to hear the fan.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

ecohouse1 wrote: On my Series 2 TD estate, the interior heater fan operates only at the max setting - on max power, if I try & reduce to half power it just seems to go off. If I put it to Auto - sometimes it runs on max & other times it appears to be off!!
That could still be the transistors. Their normal failure mode, as xmexclusive says, is to go short-circuit which causes an uncontrollably fast fan at all settings. It will start running at top speed as soon as the ignition is switched on and stop only on ignition off. However, the full-speed setting is achieved by use of a relay on the regulator board so if, unusually, both transistors have gone open-circuit then full speed will still be available but with no intermediate speeds.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

Thanks Chaps

In fact I haven't changed the Pollen filter - I have one to go in but not had time. There might be what sounds like a light flow of air coming through the vents at intermediate settings.

I take it that the filter is behing the passenger footwell carpet? I remember in the Xsara it was behind the glovebox.

Thanks

Alan
ecohouse1
Deceased
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

Yes on the subject of intensity - full blast in max - no problem - if I switch to Auto (what is this anyway?) it goes full blast although sometines low flow too.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

ecohouse1 wrote: if I switch to Auto (what is this anyway?) it goes full blast although sometines low flow too.
Auto mode puts the fan under the control of the climate ECU and it adjusts it's speed to help, in conjunction with the motorised heater flap, regulate the cabin temperature...

In auto, the fan will run fast if the cabin temperature sensor believes the cabin is too hot or cold as seen by the cabin air temperature sensor. Once the system reaches equilibrium it will slow down markedly.

If this is not happening then either your cabin temperature sensor is getting duff information or another sensor is seeing things wrongly.

The cabin temperature sensor is special as it hides behind the small grille in the dash trim above the wireless and has a small fan to blow cabin air over the actual sensor to ensure accurate readings. If the little fan stops then the cabin sensior wikll read the ambient temperature under the dash, which is pretty toasty generally, and use the blower in frantic attempts to cool down. The net result is the cabin temperature goes right down with a fast-running blower.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...