Are three Xantia's too many??? HDI Advice Needed.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gadgetgricey

Are three Xantia's too many??? HDI Advice Needed.

Post by gadgetgricey »

The wife does not know yet :oops: , but looking at buying another Xantia to go with the 1.9TD, and 2.1TD currently in my possesion.

This one is an HDI though, and is quoted as suffering from a "noisy hydraulic pump".

Just looking for a bit of advice regarding what to check.
Are they OK to be noisy, or is this the first sign of imminent failure?
How difficult are they to change if they fail?
Any other HDI foubles to check for?

Bought the 2.1TD (DEX) to replace the 1.9TD, but now might be replacing both with the Hdi.

Thanks again

- Dave -
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Are three Xantia's too many??? HDI Advice Needed.

Post by Xaccers »

Just make sure Dex goes to a good home if you do decide to let him go. I thought he was a '98.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Xac wrote:Just make sure Dex goes to a good home if you do decide to let him go. I thought he was a '98.
Yes DEX will live again. Not 100% certain regarding this Hdi yet, so might not happen.

Plan had been to change my Insurance/cars at the end of this month and run DEX for a month. He is meant to be suffering with a fuel pump issue, but has been ticking over in the garage without any issue every time I have started the car.

Only reason I have not used him sooner is that my robbing [-X of an Insurance company want to charge me £40 to change policies. Then if there were "issues" would have to pay the £40 again to change back to the 1.9TD. My car Insurance expires at the end of December, so was going to use DEX for the month, and then start a new policy either with DEX or my 1.9TD.

All I can say is that DEX will not be broken, if sold on by me, he will be complete :-D

- Dave -
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

off topic but only yesterday Bennetts charged me £25 (about 30% of the total policy) just for an address change.. the updated PDF doc was with me minutes later..

robbery!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Got a feeling my insurance company wanted to charge me if I switched my policy to another car :(

Charging for an address change really takes the biscuit!
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The Hdi engine is surprisingly good, I was very suspicious of them being common rail and all the horror stories I have read but I purchased a 406 about a year ago and have done over 10,000 miles in it and it hasn't missed a beat. It had done 189k when I bought so its just coming up to 200k now. Very good on fuel too, I can get 60 mpg + from mine but I do drive gently.

Regarding the insurance charges, I think this is because of the competition keeping the prices down, they are trying to recoup some cash by making these exhorbitant charges. They do vary though, its worth asking how much they charge for changes before you commit yourself to one.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You'll like an HDi Dave :-D

The noisy pump could well be a noisy alternator... HP pumps are not known for being noisy but alternators are. If it whines then it's the alternator, Listen to both using a stethoscope and all will soon become clear.

Be aware that a new alternator is expensive. Best i managed was just over £100 from the 'bay for a brand-new one... I was lucky in that mine has the lower output one but if you have the model with the electric auxiliary water heater then you need the 150A alternator and they're even more expensive.

Apart from that, all normal Xantia checks apply but be aware that if you have a split turbo hose, all except the little baby one are very expensive.

The economy is astounding... Worth having..

So what;s the current news on DEX?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

CitroJim wrote:You'll like an HDi Dave :-D
Yes, I blame you and the stuff you have written regarding Rativa. Really only bought DEX due to being a 2.1TD, so a bit more power.
CitroJim wrote: So what;s the current news on DEX?
Nothing been done, other than drive back and start in the garage a few times. Work was going to start at the end of this month when I was set to transfer the Insurance over.

Keep you all informed.

- Dave -
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

Reading one of the other threads tonight regarding BX v's Xantia acceleration and the comment was made that the Hdi and the 2.1TD are very similar in performance. Is this true??

Also I always thought the Hdi's were 110 bhp, but think they might also be 90bhp. The car I'm looking at is an X reg, any way of telling if its a 110 or 90.
Edit, just done a search and found an listing that says the 110 has a intercooler pipe that runs next to the air filter pipework. Is this correct as shown in my very poor picture below

Final question is will the leather seats (non electric) currently fitted in my S1 be transferrable into an S2?

Thanks again

- Dave -
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Yep that's a 110. The 2.1 and Hdi are the same power but the 2.1 pulls more smoothly below 1500 rpm, or at the least the Bosch mechanical in the XM does.

Peter
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

HDI 8v two litre engine ONLY all day long dave!!!! I kid you not! Ive not looked back...

I bought xantics hdi 110 exclusive from him last nov 2010... And changed the cam belt bottom crank pully and water pump.. She was on 159k and so i took a chance...

Now, 12 months later and - yes in 12 months - shes on 192k... Never given me one second of trouble... Always starts... Never stops or hasnt yet... And just keeps going and going and going....

Get one you will NOT be disapointed! I constantly drive at the top of max legal speed and hard.. Have a tuning box and boot full with all my tools etc and still get 45mpg!!!!!

No contest and the tuning box is well worth it..

Rid the td's these are fun... The only advantage of the td is veg oil but for me its a tiny advantage over the hdi..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

At the moment, not sure if its a 90 or 110. If its a 110 looks like it might be a goer, but should I dismiss the 90bhp as well???
Cant really see the point in getting a 90bhp Hdi, which I think is the same bhp as my 1.9TD, and probably less that the 2.1TD
citroenxm wrote: No contest and the tuning box is well worth it..
Paul
Did not realise you could get them for Hdi's, roughly how much and where from. Also what performance improvement do you get.

Also any ideas re the seat transfer???

Thank again all.

Cheers

- Dave -
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

90s are same bhp as sugested and same as td but the torque is different and lower down therev range.. Ive git a 90 hdi in to do up and sell with fsh but ive not driven it yet...

Tuning box i got cost me 80 quid 2nd hand and i beleve puts the power to 130 bhp.. Which with an empty car is FUN with a smile.. Put it this way makes me wonder why we have v6s really...

The in gear pull is amazing... The two particular boxs i have plug in between the injectors and cars main loom...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto