BX TZD v Xantia 1.9TD Acceleration

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

BX TZD v Xantia 1.9TD Acceleration

Post by ecohouse1 »

Noticed that the Xantia is a bit of a slug for standing start acceleration compared to my old BX TZD (or at least how I remember it) It just feels much heavier and lumbering by comparison. It does however feel very smooth & powerful cruising at 60/70 with mountains of torque.

Is my observation correct in others opinion who have driven both? I take it the BX was a lighter (although more fragile) machine? I notice that the Xantis seems better bolted together and less prone to rust.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: BX TZD v Xantia 1.9TD Acceleration

Post by spider »

Cannot remember the last time I drove a BX if at all actually ( ! ) , although if its any help, similar things were said about the 405TD vs 406TD.

Same case I expect older lighter car possibly with less emission restrictions vs newer slightly heavier car with 'EU friendly' pump settings.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

My old Bx Tzd wasn't a patch on the Xantia we had at the time and felt a bit gutless compared. It might just have been the one I had but I much prefered the Xantia in everyway , I do recall driving a Bx 1.9 non turbo diesel , what a sluggish horror that was.

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
tim leech
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by tim leech »

bxzx16v wrote:My old Bx Tzd wasn't a patch on the Xantia we had at the time and felt a bit gutless compared. It might just have been the one I had but I much prefered the Xantia in everyway , I do recall driving a Bx 1.9 non turbo diesel , what a sluggish horror that was.

Mark

Hmm sounds like the BX wasnt set up right then as they do go very well, a T/D BX should show a clean pair of heels to a Xantia 1.9TD or HDi 90, which is down the weight difference between the motors (about 200kgs I think). The 1.9D is no ball of fire but if you keep the revs up will hussle along quite well and shouldnt be much slower than a TD Xant.

I freely admit that Xantias seem to rust less and feel better screwed together than the old BX, but with a fair few foiables and reliablity problems which you get with more modern tecnology when it gets old and worn.

If you want a slug you should try a Xantia 1.9D AUTO! :shock: which has a 0-60 of something like 19 seconds! :lol:
1994 XANTIA 1.8i SX 132k, From new, Slumbering
1991 BX TZD Turbo, 192k Batttered/Awaiting Resto
1991 BX 19TZi Auto 93k Factory A/C
1991 BX 16 TGS Athena (project), mechanically sorted just a bit scruffy!
1985 BX 19GT 57k beige wonder
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The TD BX was the original diesel 'hot hatch' the performance was quite amazing mainly due to its lack of weight. The wife had a TZD estate for some years and when we changed it for a ZX TD she was most dissapointed with the acceleration, she used to be able to pull out onto the Axminster bypass in front of quite fast moving traffic which she couldn't do any more. My own experience from driving them both bore that out.

When the Xantia replaced the BX many people were dissapointed with both the performance and fuel consumption. A well sorted BX td is a very fast although not substantial car.

Peter
Last edited by Peter.N. on 09 Nov 2011, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
tim leech
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by tim leech »

Even now 20 years since its hayday the BX TD is a great car to drive if they oily bits are sorted, sadly they have mostly done lots of miles and starting to get a bit tatty and baggy, but to drive a real mile muncher with surprising performance. Build quality is no worse than most 80s cars (better than some in cases).

Quite a few guys in the BXC run one for a while and get used to them, swop to something a bit newer but often go back as a blend of performance, economy and comfort they are some act to follow. Of course buy a dog and you'll hate it! :lol:
1994 XANTIA 1.8i SX 132k, From new, Slumbering
1991 BX TZD Turbo, 192k Batttered/Awaiting Resto
1991 BX 19TZi Auto 93k Factory A/C
1991 BX 16 TGS Athena (project), mechanically sorted just a bit scruffy!
1985 BX 19GT 57k beige wonder
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Had a BX TZD Estate, a 1.9TD Xantia Hatch, a 2.1TD Xantia Hatch and currently a Xantia HDi 110 hatch. The BX was the best for performance, with the HDi 2nd, the 2.1TD 3rd and the 1.9TD in 4th by a fair way. Not much to choose between the 2.1 and HDi.
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

Some years hence ( Pre - PC , Mobiles , speed Camera's etc ) I used to periodically amuse myself on my boring motorway commute by timing myself for appx 3 miles on a substantial motorway climb .

This was performed at @ 10.pm and I always ensured there was no other traffic in front of me ( common then )

Using roadside references ( rather than differing car's odometers ) to measure the distance this " J'amuse Bouche "
as Mr Clarkson would utter , was performed pedal to the metal from a 70 mph start using either 4th or 5th Gears over the entire run - a mental note was made of these " timings " before commiting them to paper on arrival Home.

Ahem , Not wishing to publish the terminal velocities reached , suffice to say that my " testing " became so regular that unbeknown to myself this was failing to amuse the local F - Troop ( Motorway Police) who's patience finally expired and they gave me a tug , I was very lucky to escape with a right royal rollocking !

Many cars were used in my Jovials over the years , and I forget the recorded ( now lost ) figures .

The last two vehicles I "tested" always stuck in my mind though........

My 2.8i capri - JAG298Y and My Bx DTR ( G358KUM)

Without wishing to bore anyone further I was Gobsmacked to find that the Bx DTR, under those conditions , left the Capri for dead :shock:

A colleague had a later Bx TZD which I drove , then He ( driving my Capri ) tried to catch me up the same hill , He could not :oops:

Different story on the flat , but these are real - world conditions.

Great motor that Bx.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

lets see how the XANT rust's when it gets as old as the BX,
in there day they saw the compatition off hands down regarding lack of rust, and just about everything elss,

regards malcolm
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Sorry dippy u have to publish now,it will give us all something to do late at nite when bored.
Must beat dippys time and speed lol.
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

Sorry forgot to mention my bx experiences,
bx non turbo and you could get it to hustle but only with heavy foot and long gear changes 8-) .
scabbie my current xantia TD is a bit of a slug in comparison.
Although about 400 miles till the 200.000 milestone still cruises nicely at 73 mph (satnav speed) that is.
She has developed a bit of a drone vibration so may get stripped and weighed in soon.
evilclive

Post by evilclive »

The acceleration is the bit I missed most moving from a BX turbo to a Xantia HDi. Being only a 90 and a somewhat bigger car is most of it, but the BX did feel better too. Whether people behind agreed as they probably couldn't see where they were going any more is a different matter :-)
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

^^^ :lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign: ^^^

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

bxzx16v wrote:My old Bx Tzd wasn't a patch on the Xantia we had at the time and felt a bit gutless compared. It might just have been the one I had but I much prefered the Xantia in everyway , I do recall driving a Bx 1.9 non turbo diesel , what a sluggish horror that was.

Mark
It's all relevant I suppose , one company I worked for had a small fleet of new pug 305 vans which were brilliant - then . Some years later I ( briefly ) owned a 405 1.9D estate which as Mark says could frighten you to death trying to pull out of a road junction etc.

I remember the TZD being superb , not suffering as much turbo - lag as my DTR. Some years later a friend had a nice xanty 2.1 TD which was effortless to drive , floating along on waves of torque.
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

wotwot wrote:Sorry dippy u have to publish now,it will give us all something to do late at nite when bored.
Must beat dippys time and speed lol.
I can't remember the figures now , it was never a speed test as such - more an uphill pulling power - maintaining speed contest , and it was a long time ago when life in general was much less frenetic.

Happy memories with the Capri , steer it with the gas pedal ....