snow socks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaspwieser
My Cars:

snow socks

Post by Jaspwieser »

has anyone used snow socks, seemed to be some around last year. just want some feed back before buying some
Richard
Xantia 2.0 hdi estate (Y REG)
C5 2.2 HDi estate (in a stupid purple colour)
smokescreen
My Cars: C3 1.6 HDi VTR

Re: snow socks

Post by smokescreen »

Yes I have. Borrowed a pair from my neighbour who had borrowed those from a friend!! Live at the end of cul-de-sac, the last 50yds are downhill. We were unable to get up the hill during the snow last year. Snow socks popped on and to our amazement we sailed up the road not problem. You have to take them off when you come to black top road surface otherwise they wear away rapidly.

Hope that helps.
Mark
Jaspwieser
My Cars:

Post by Jaspwieser »

Thanks Mark
Richard
Xantia 2.0 hdi estate (Y REG)
C5 2.2 HDi estate (in a stupid purple colour)
Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

I seen them in Asda for £35 the other day. I would invest in a pair if they didn't limited driving to 40km/h!
Think I'll just get winter tyres instead :)
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
marty1979
My Cars:

Post by marty1979 »

I've read very good reports from users of the snowsocks, a lot easier to fit than snow chains but are very easily damaged if used on tarmac for a short period. I picked up a set of used chains from ebay the other day for £16, should help me out if we do get any significant snowfall over this winter.
ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

I bought Snow Socks 2 years ago for my Merc 190 - they are good at getting you out of compacted/deep snow but are fragile on tarmac or rough ground under the snow. Last winter my wheel spinned for a few seconds and the sock shredded on stones frozen into the ground. Fit for the bin!

Ok to get you out of the sh*t but they don't last long. I bought chains for the 2CV last year and they made it unstoppable and I live down a 1/2 mile track in northern scotland!

Would I buy snow socks again - probably not, I bought a set of winter tyres instead!
allanmc
My Cars:

Post by allanmc »

I gought a pair of Weisenfeild Snow Socks last year and found them to be very good as long as you use them properly, dont spin the wheels, dont drive on dry roads, as a caravanner I found that they got me out of trouble a few times, these ones arent the cheapest but I think they are the best
allan
Xantia 2.0i SX Auto, 1999
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Costco are selling Michelin snow socks for £59.95 ATM.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

In some parts of the alps you MUST carry snow chains in winter and stop to fit them in the marked places when the signs say so. There has been debate about snow socks - are they permitted or will you still be fined?

The Autosocks brand claim to have approval in France and claim to be the only brand so approved. If you are planning to drive in winter in the alps, then worth checking it out.

http://www.autosock.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just scroll down their homepage for more information.

I did a bit of research and eventually bought some 9mm chains from leisureshack for my new-to-me C5 - some really good prices. Have driven off on ski trips for years, always carried chains to comply with the law. Fitted them just once - years ago to get a Renault 5 Gordini up a snowy road in Cairngorm. Then again, the Gordini would spin its wheels if rain was forecast - no traction control in those days. 90 bhp in a car that weighed the same as a wet teabag (but was less robust).
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
MPV

Post by MPV »

If you use chains you are still limited to 30 mph or less and you must remove them when you are on tarmac or you will damage the road. Not sure on where the insurance co.s stand on snow socks. Better to buy a set of winter tyres and have done with it.
Synergie XUD9 - the "Duck-billed-clatterbus"