Windscreen polish

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

davewithington
My Cars:

Windscreen polish

Post by davewithington »

Anyone know of a good product to gently polish the windscreen, and remove that traffic film which seems to be part of the glass?

Used to use jeweller's rouge back in the day, but haven't seen any for ages.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Windscreen polish

Post by CitroJim »

Frosts (the car restoration people, not our local garden centre) does a product very much like jeweller's rouge. I got hold of some to polish out some light scratches. It did the trick.

The kit they do includes a mop for your electric drill...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I use a product from Jaguar dealers called not surprisingly "Clean screen paste" which is a coarse white paste which pretty much grinds the film off the screen and works a treat. When I bought my VSX I tried everything to remove whatever was on the screen and found this Jaguar product was the only one that did the job, I sear by it now, highly recommended.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

the best method for a Clean screen is to use somehting like Screenwash diluted down into a spray bottle and kitchen towel to clean the screen up, then wipe over with Isopropyl Alcohol, will leave you with a Clean and smear free screen! this time of year is worth RainX'ing too, do the above then apply the RainX leave to have, buff off, and then second coat the RainX and you'll get a good couple of months water repelancy, i normally apply to the front and side windows, not the rear as have never had a good effect from it there,
i used to use the Autoglym rain repellancy liquid that they sold with the Lifeshine kits (worked as a car cleaner since the mid 90's so had access to lots of left over kit!!) which was good but strictly said not for use on the windscreen so you'd need an alternative product, bit pointless as then you'd need that Plus the RainX when you may as well just use the rainx all over! and iirc is £6 in tesco for it, a bottle will do you a good 20+ applications!!

internal smearing is just as much a pita to remove but much the same methods of lots of screenwash diluted down and kitchen roll (blue paper roll if you have it!) and then an Isosproyl wipe over should see a good clean screen! i always keep a roll of kitchen towel in the car this toime of year so to get a good clean wipe over the screen instead of the nice smears you see in low light!!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

I absolutely HATE Rain X. Never worked for me at all.

I'll try the Jaguar stuff though. Also need to do my wife's MX 5, which has had deposits on the screen for ages, probably due to her parking next to a recycling plant.......
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

if youve got deposits on the windows then some automotive Clay will easily remove it, you can use a Razor blade and Plenty of water/glass cleaner but make sure you use Plenty of liquid with it! otherwise can be a bit pricey to buy the clay if you only want it for this job!

RainX is applied correctly is good but you doo need to have a Clean screen! ive applied it over a month old coating of itself and it played up, but on frech ipa wiped glass has always been fine, in my experience ofcourse, but does need a Very clean glass to work,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've had decent results on glass with clay as well.

Over here, the greasy bodies of splattered locusts are a major "tainter" of glass - it plays havoc with treatments like Rain-X.
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

Can't fault RainX , great stuff

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
tim leech
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by tim leech »

You can still get jewellers rouge on ebay, I bought some not THAT long ago. Havent used it yet.
1994 XANTIA 1.8i SX 132k, From new, Slumbering
1991 BX TZD Turbo, 192k Batttered/Awaiting Resto
1991 BX 19TZi Auto 93k Factory A/C
1991 BX 16 TGS Athena (project), mechanically sorted just a bit scruffy!
1985 BX 19GT 57k beige wonder
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

For years i have always used toothpaste to clean windscreens and even the other glass in the car. Cheap and guaranteed to get rid of all the grime. And you get the added bonus of a nice minty smell! :-D :-D

Handyman
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

I absolutely HATE Rain X. Never worked for me at all.
After travelling in heavy rain the 1990s in a car that had it on the windscreen,
there's no way I'd let the stuff anywhere near ours.
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

davewithington wrote:Anyone know of a good product to gently polish the windscreen, and remove that traffic film which seems to be part of the glass?

Used to use jeweller's rouge back in the day, but haven't seen any for ages.
Lump Hammer .

After spending ££ on useless products + ££ on fuel to fetch em , I " accidently " dropped a lump hammer on the screen , no scam - I was braying the seized garage door hinge when the hammer head flew off and cracked the screen ! God save the Queen and you'll never take me alive copper ! - wish I'd thought of it earler. :wink:

New Screen - £40.00 Excess . can't beleive the difference in vision ! just shows how screens degrade over the years.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Danielle's brother had a Nova. He came out of Tescos and started driving home, though "strange, the car feels a bit more airy than usual" leant forward and found someone had stolen his windscreen! :D
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Xac wrote:Danielle's brother had a Nova. He came out of Tescos and started driving home, though "strange, the car feels a bit more airy than usual" leant forward and found someone had stolen his windscreen! :D
I take it it wasn't raining :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

good friend had a chevvette once, and over christmas his screen finally gave in ;) i remember a few journeys with him, and a hat and gloves :)

my screen is terrible.. been thinking about throwing rocks at it for some time now..