MOT testers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davewithington
My Cars:

MOT testers

Post by davewithington »

I take my cars to the same garage I've used for the last 8 or so years, and normally have no problem with MOTs, as I have quite a good working relationship with the foreman - I've quoted the testers manual at him before now (and he was wrong)

Took the Xantia in last week, and it was a different tester, young lad, about 35, who failed me on a track rod end, brake hose, CV boot headlamp aim and leaking hydraulic pump.

The TRE, CV boot and hose were fair enough, but the pump made me suck air through my teeth a bit, as I knew it wasn't leaking. May have been covered in a light film of oil from the head gasket leak (sorted), but not LHM. He asked me if I knew anything about the hydraulic system. I just looked and said nowt. Les the foreman was hiding up the far end of the workshop......

Anyway, fitted the hose, track rod end, CV boot, aimed the headlamps and washed the pump. came up lovely and shiny it did. Makes me wonder if it's been replaced at some time, it's so pretty.

Retested this evening, they adjusted my headlamps properly with the beam tester, had a quick squint underneath and gave me the ticket.

My trader friend used to wipe BX and Xantia pumps with a cloth just before testing, as he used a testing station who defined "leak" as any sign of any sort of oil.
The moral is, wash your pumps before the test, oh and I have a supplier of the big O ring for the pump cover if you need one.
tim leech
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Re: MOT testers

Post by tim leech »

My Xantia (see various other active threads lol) had her MOT today, there was some LHM on both of the rear suspension units, both of which were advisories, as they werent dripping ad the suspension worked fine, I did expect a fail on that too.

I guess its down to the MOT tester and what mood hes in!
1994 XANTIA 1.8i SX 132k, From new, Slumbering
1991 BX TZD Turbo, 192k Batttered/Awaiting Resto
1991 BX 19TZi Auto 93k Factory A/C
1991 BX 16 TGS Athena (project), mechanically sorted just a bit scruffy!
1985 BX 19GT 57k beige wonder
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I once had a numpty MOT tester fail one of my Xantias on a leaky rear height corrector Dave. It wasn't leaky, just well greased up...

Did what you did, cleaned it up until it shone like Bristol bacon, took it back and pass...

I've never been back to that particular tester...

The definition of a hydraulic leak from a hydraulic Citroen is if it drips... Dampness is not a leak...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

My BIL has has the same trouble for the past two years with the tester of his Xantia claiming the pump is leaking, the tester is talking total ballocks and clearly doesn't have a clue what he's talking about as the pump isn't even damp :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

We have a very nice local tester who is r-e-a-s-o-n-a-b-l-e. As there are probably nearly as many tractors down here as cars he is used to oily things so he won't fail it unless its serious. The same goes for other problems. He points them out, I go home and repair them, go back and he gives me a certificate. Lovely.

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have seen a Dyane that had been failed on leaky suspension cylinders :-D :-D :shock: :shock: :? :? :lol: [-X

people squirt oil into them to stop them sounding like a donkey,

regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

We used to have a donkey, so I know what you mean - never squirted oil on it though.

Peter
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Peter.N. wrote:We used to have a donkey, so I know what you mean - never squirted oil on it though.

Peter
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one Peter
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

are you sure it wasnt a dersh (2CV ) 2with dry spring cans :shock: :twisted: :wink:

regards malcolm