Help! Engine Misfire and Knocking Noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Newspaperman

Help! Engine Misfire and Knocking Noise

Post by Newspaperman »

Help!!! Berlingo Multispace 1.9D
Driving to work this morning on a 50 mile trip got about 15 miles into my journey the engine felt like it had started misfire and lose power
This continued for bout 10 miles misfiring and lack of power then it seemed to clear itself.
Until I stopped at a junction there was a definite change in the Engine note / sound a loud rattle could be heard during acceleration in every gear whilst acclerating however when reaching about 70mph the noise died down a little. It maybe me but it also appeared to use alot of fuel for the last 10 miles of my journey. Im thinking fuel starvation maybe filter but that would not produce the engine noise. I then thought it might be a faulty injector.
During this time the engine did not smoke / no engine light came on / Temperature stayed the same / No lights of any description / A definite rattle can be heard at tickover and when you rev or power on during acceleration and I suspect its drinking more fuel
Can anyone help me please?
Regards

Andy aka Newspaperman
Newspaperman

Re: Help! Engine Misfire and Knocking Noise

Post by Newspaperman »

After a few hours I revisited the Car and checked the engine turned over fine and started as normal. The knocking noise I heard had disappeared. Someone has suggested maybe a pump timing issue or advance timing piston in the pump maybe scored. I will replace the the fuel and air filter to start off at the basics of air and fuel delivery see if it happens on the way home tonight.
Regards

Andy aka Newspaperman
Newspaperman

Post by Newspaperman »

For reference the Berlingo is a 2003 model 1.9D 105K miles Timing belt has been done at 88k. I have owned it for about 4 weeks now without a fault until today
Regards

Andy aka Newspaperman
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It sounds as though the pump timing was over advanced which could be due to a faulty injector sensor, that would cause it to knock on all cylinders. If its only knocking on one cylinder could be a faulty/clogged injector, this can occaisionally happen and be cured by driving at full throttle for a little.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's always a good idea to initially check the wiring connector to the injector sensor (Needle Lift Sensor) It can be identified by a thin wire sprouting out of one of the injectors and ending in a small plug. Ensure the plug is tightly home and clean.

Needle lift sensors do fail and require replacement of the whole injector.

Did the engine management light come on during the poor running?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...