Hub flange on ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the_weaver
My Cars:

Hub flange on ZX

Post by the_weaver »

Is it possible to change the centre hub flange on a ZX 1.9D without damaging the front wheel bearing? By hub flange, I mean the round bit in the middle that the brake disc and roadwheel bolts to. I've heard people say that one half of the inner bearing race remains on here, and you should pull it off with a bearing puller. Do they mean a standard two or three-legged puller with a manual screw, or does it have to be a hydraulic puller? How much force is required? Would it be possible to pull the flange out with a puller, or press it out with a threaded rod and nuts, and not damage the bearing? Am I right in thinking that the driveshaft spindle and hub nut hold the centre of the wheel bearing together, and so maybe it isn't pressed in with a large amount of force?

Paul
ZX 1.9D, 1993, 218K.
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Hub flange on ZX

Post by citronut »

the CV joint stub and hub nut pull the two inner race's together from each side of the bearing outter race/caseing,

the usualy prob is the outside inner race comes away on the neck of the drive flange, and once away there is very little clearance between the outter edge of the inner race and the drive flandge,

there not especialy tight but just have to come off perfectly square,

besides that once the inner race has pulled out through thebuilt in bearing seal it will almost certainly have damaged the sealing edge of the seal as its only thinn,

i have had new bearings come appart in the past on fitting and re/assembled them, but i cant tell you if this was detrimental to the bearing (not had them come back though),

but with an old worn bearing i dont think i would do this as the seal is already worn,

regards malcolm
the_weaver
My Cars:

Re: Hub flange on ZX

Post by the_weaver »

Ok, thanks for the info, Malcolm.

Paul
ZX 1.9D, 1993, 218K.