Xantia SX 1998 1.9TD XUD Flapping Aux Belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shaunlfc1
My Cars:

Xantia SX 1998 1.9TD XUD Flapping Aux Belt

Post by shaunlfc1 »

Hi all,

Picked car up today from its MOT and one of the advisory's was that the aux belt had tensioning issues, and the head garage owner said that the belt was flapping up and down a bit. It had a brand new belt and tensioner about 8 months ago and according to the garage the tensioner is fine and the belt is in good condition. The garage said they were too busy too investigate further. But he did said the one thing that could be causing it is the clutch on the alternator pulley.

Has anyone had this problem and was it the cluth on alt pulley? If was it easy to change and did it cost much? I usually do my own spannering, but recently I have been so busy I have not had chance to check the car over like I normally do especially before a MOT.

Thanks for any advice,

Cheers,

Shaun
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Xantia SX 1998 1.9TD XUD Flapping Aux Belt

Post by red_dwarfers »

Something else that might be worth looking into is the actual spring itself, as the eyes at either end can wear. When people and garages say they replace the tensioner, they usually just mean the actual wheel and lever thingy that connects to the spring. Had this on mine, easy and fairly cheap to pick up at GSF and all.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Xantia Altinator Pully are not "Clutch'd" they are a standard type..

Theres two possibilities here then... The eccentric tensioner may need re adjustment to take the excess slack out of the belt..

If you remove the inner arch liner - you may need to remove the upper engine mount to lower the engine, the SQUARE hole in the lower tensioner is at it tightest when the square is nearest the Crank Pully...

Theres also a posibility of the wrong length belt being fitted ...

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The eccentric tensioner is set simply by slackening it's hex bolt, letting the belt rotate it round and then tightening it back up.
If you need to force it round to tighten the belt then your auto tensioner spring is duff or the auto tensioner bearings have collapsed preventing it moving against the belt to tension it properly. Or the belt is too long.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

That slackens it off xac... To set it correctly the eccentric should be on a HALF way setting for it to be right....

I think the bol also explains that procedure too.. Its how i set all of mine and never had a flapping belt... If its meant to be slack whats the point of it being an eccentric....?paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

citroenxm wrote:That slackens it off xac... To set it correctly the eccentric should be on a HALF way setting for it to be right....

I think the bol also explains that procedure too.. Its how i set all of mine and never had a flapping belt... If its meant to be slack whats the point of it being an eccentric....?paul
I'm sure the BOL says to slacken the hex, then release the auto tensioner against the belt, which sets the tension on the belt, then tighten the hex.
Otherwise you're compressing the auto tensioner spring more than you need to by adding extra tension with the eccentric.
Mine's like that and not flappy.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
marty1979
My Cars:

Post by marty1979 »

Morning! I just thought I'd chime in with my experience with this, only on a 2.1td 406. When I got the car it had just had a new aux belt, I had to replace it because I had the same flapping about at the bottom between the crank and air-con pulley, this eventually caused it to move across towards the engine and it lost a rib and sounded horrible. Anyway, I did the timing belt a couple of Fridays ago, I also replaced the aux belt....again, but it was doing the same flapping about at the bottom run. The auto tensioner has loads of spring in it, but I noticed that the pulley assembly was almost touching the engine, about 10mm away when released against the belt, so I turned my attention to the eccentric pulley that I had never touched before and it was at it's most slack position with the square hole towards the top of the engine. I proceded to adjust the pulley so that the square hole is pointing towards the crank pulley just as mentioned above and it's been perfect since. Hope that helps you guys.
citroenxm

Post by citroenxm »

Thank you marty for your input... I knew the eccentric was there for a reason and i wasnt going mad...

Exactly what i do. And when i did that on my hdi (same set up but a far more sensible and user friendly spring tensioner) 30k ago mine to has also been perfectly quiet..

Paul

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the only clutch involved here is for the air con pump pulley this might be what the garage ment/said,

regards malcolm