C5 mk.1 mudflap (mis)fitting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Norlander

C5 mk.1 mudflap (mis)fitting

Post by Norlander »

Anyone had success with fitting (Citroen, correct part #) front mud-flaps to a mk.1 C5?
Been trying, and cannot see how they'd do anything to stop water / grit still forcing its way back along under the plastic sill-covers anyway.
Given up for today, with the passenger side one looking a poor and not fully secured fit ... maybe better luck with the driver's side tomorrow, or maybe not.
But the lug on the bottom of the back of the mudflap -- the one that is supposedly held tight using a grubscrewed "U" clamp, and would stop the mudflap from being twisted -- how can it be clamped, when there's no edge in the right place for it to clamp against?
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: C5 mk.1 mudflap (mis)fitting

Post by Citroenmad »

They are a bit of a pain to fit arn't they!

Its much easier if you get someone to give you a hand. Get someone to hold the mudflaps tightly against the sill while you put in the screws.

If you set them in the correct place (top of the mudflaps should sit just below the swage line on the sill trim), get a bradawl and pierce in some holes. Then screw in the screws and the jobs done.

For the tab under the car which should be fixed by the U clamp, I didn't use the clame, its useless. I used another trim screw and screwed it into the underside of the sill plastic trim.

Your right though, they do very little in terms of protection to the cars bodywork. However I think they suit the car and so I always fit them. One bonus about the C5 mudfaps is they don't sit against the bodywork of the car and no fixings go into metal. So they don't cause rust as some mudflaps fittings do.

I did have some normal (non contoured) mudflaps on my previous C5 before I found the correct original ones. They did a much better job of keeping the car clean and protected the leading edge of the wing from stone chips :

Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10