xantia hydrolic pump>now with pics of cock up**

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

boostcrazy

xantia hydrolic pump>now with pics of cock up**

Post by boostcrazy »

hello everyone i have just become the owner of a 95 xantia vsx td, and as allways im a new member after help.
the car had a leak from the pump, it was leakin from the 19mm headed houseing for the threaded type fitting nearest the pully, so i removed it put a new seal on and put it back together, new fluid but now i canot get the system to repressure and the car is stuck on low , after thinking about it the sping that is located behind it may not have been located properly< dumb ass so can annyone please help me, do i need to remove it and reseat it or is there something that i could be doing wrong in the repressure procedure< following the haynes manual
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
so in this vidieo i found on u tube its the only open port that i have replaced the seal on, and i take it the spring be a control of the pressure in the system, i jsy dont wanna waste all that new fluid if i could be overlooking something else
any advice would be great thanks gary
Last edited by boostcrazy on 27 Oct 2011, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
xantia 1.9td vsx
pug 106 xnd- last leg email for cheap parts :)
zx 1.9 d rip
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

OK, you did remove the old O-ring first, right?

After removing the top fitting, there is a fairly stout spring about ¼" diameter which you may have lifted out?

Below the spring is a little pressed metal "dish" with a divot in the centre of it. This dish sits on top of a small steel ball, with the curved side up. It helps the spring keep the ball pressed hard into the bottom of this assembly. Using a tacky grease like moly grease or Vaseline during this repair, can help hold parts in the correct position when reassembling.

The other common enough mistake is to completely remove the pressure bleed screw - this loses its own ball!
boostcrazy

Re: xania hydrolic pump

Post by boostcrazy »

hi addo thanks for the reply, i did remove the old o-ring then cleaned it and put the new one on, as for the spring i didnt remove it but as the lhm fluid was leaking out it was lifting from its possition, as for the bleed screw i only undid it like 1 turn deff did not fall out, guess i will just have to take it apart again and try to get that spring position right, would that spring/ ball stop the re-pressure and the system if put back together incorrectly ?
also the bleed screw is 1 turn enough ? as there was no sign of anny de-pressure when i undid it the 1st time
thanks gary
xantia 1.9td vsx
zx 1.9 d rip
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

A quarter of a turn on the bleed screw should be enough, you hear a whooshing sound as it depressurises the accumulator sphere. I presume you are using the correct bleed screw, its a 12mm head on the regulator which has the accumulator sphere attached to it, the accumulator sphere being the one attached to the engine down by the gearbox, being a VSX there will be two spheres down there but the sphere you're after points towards the drivers side of the car.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if i remeber corectly when i have done this procedure i think i clamped the main rubber suction feed hose/pipe, and this stoped most of the citro blood (LHM) flow whilst the bung is out,

also i have never had trouble with the spring/plundger and managed to remove and re/fit the new seal and the bung

regards malcolm
boostcrazy

Post by boostcrazy »

Ok thanks for the reply . I have no pressure in the accumulaator its doin nothing when I open It what have I done t :(
xantia 1.9td vsx
zx 1.9 d rip
boostcrazy

Post by boostcrazy »

I have taken it to bits again all seems to be fine, I have tryed to prime the system as in the haynes and its doin nothing at all. And the is only one 12mm bleed screw that is on the sphere located and attached to the bell housing its really getting to me now nit just will not pressure up,
I have followed the maunual step by step grrr. Does any one now of a reasonable citroen specialest in dorset/westish hampshire ?
xantia 1.9td vsx
zx 1.9 d rip
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Have you tried disconnecting the feed pipe from the reservoir and filling it with fluid?

Peter
boostcrazy

Post by boostcrazy »

hi peter
yeah i have tryed that along with the rest of the primeing procedure no joy :(
strage thing that 2 people have told me that the bleed screw needs only a very small turn, however i needed at least 4 with still no depressure or liquid. it only works when its like 4+turns and then i get some air/fluid out, so now there can be no air in there sill wont lift.
something i didnt metion is i bought the car like 10 days ago viewed it 2 times and like a 10-12 mile testdrive all the hydrolics worked fine, so its sat for 10 days on the low/park setting is there annything that could have happened in that time that could have gone wrong ?
thanks gary
xantia 1.9td vsx
zx 1.9 d rip
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you undid the screw four turns its possible the the ball has fallen out, have you checked?

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Xantia hydrolic pump

Post by citronut »

you should not see fluid/citro blood at the bleed valve at all,

i spoz its not possible you have droped/got some of the old seal gone down into the pump whilst you had the bung out,

or is the large rubber feed/supply hose/pipe not tight were it joins the pump, if so all the pump will do is suck air,

regards malcolm
boostcrazy

Post by boostcrazy »

Ah didn't realise that fluid was not the goal on that bleed screw, I have not removed it so I cannot see how I could have lost the ball ,
Hi malcolm
The old seal was still in 1 piece when I removed it away from the car,also the was fluid flowinng out of that port so I doubt annything could have got in there and the feed pipe seems fine I have tryed to prime the system as it tells you to in the manuel but it is allways full of fluid already and gets sucked up straight away when I start. The. Car
Sorry about the spelling in all the posts I'm on my phone
xantia 1.9td vsx
zx 1.9 d rip
boostcrazy

Post by boostcrazy »

Also what I wondered is, how long does it take for the system to re-pressure 1 min. 5 mins 20 mins. Maybe i need to give it longer
Again thanks for all your replys
xantia 1.9td vsx
zx 1.9 d rip
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it is possible the ball bearing behind the 12mm bleed valve screw/bolt needs re/seatting,

i have never done this as yet but i read other have,
remove the bleed valve with a tray under it to catch the ball bearing, place the ball back in the oppening and with a copper drift give it one sharp blow into its seat, then re/fit the 12mm valve screw/bolt,

but i think there is somthing amiss with the pump repair,

regards malcolm
boostcrazy

Post by boostcrazy »

oki coki here is all the parts i have from the 19mm headed valve (the one removed to replace seal, one small plate is broken ) i take it there is a ball bearing missing ?
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220 ... -00104.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220 ... -00106.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this is the bleed bolt i have been useing
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220 ... -00099.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
now i have been to citroen this morning and the dont have an exploded view of the pump and can only order a hole pump,does anny one have any idears were i may get these parts ? as the only other option is to drive it to the scrap yard wich seems a shame ,but the pump is more than i paid for the car
thanks gary
xantia 1.9td vsx
zx 1.9 d rip