Xantia brake caliper 2.0HDI

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jimmydod
My Cars:

Xantia brake caliper 2.0HDI

Post by jimmydod »

Hello all
Hope someone will be able to help. Hand brake on R/H side stopped working found activater mechanism behind rubber had seized. Took caliper off to strip and unseize which was succesfull, sadly in undoing the slider bolt the rubbers on bolt dissintegrated. Unable to find online just the rubbers only a remanufactured caliper complete. This caliper a remanufactured one is under two years old so does not fill me with confidence to spend another £140. just to replace poor perished slider pin seals. To have to strip down again in another couple of years. Another strange quirk is that the caliper a Bendix is off a 1600 petrol model. Was told that Citroen fitted these to a range of Xantia,s in 2000.

Kind Regards to all Jim
jim the geriatric
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Jim, was "Biggred" unable to help with the pins/boots?
VertVega
My Cars:

Re: Xantia brake caliper 2.0HDI

Post by VertVega »

It is possible to buy brake caliper repair kit only. This will be cheaper than a complete caliper.
I checked from ebay with search words "Xantia Caliper". Repair kit is around £28 which have
complete seal set for both left and right side.

I think your car has the largest size brake disk 288 mm (?) and a caliper from 1.6 will not fit,
neither from a 1.8 nor a 2.0 :(
C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Post by electronmirror »

If Jimmydod's Xantia HDI is the 110bhp version it will certainly have the 288mm discs but I think the 90bhp version may well use a smaller disc/caliper combination.

Ted
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (119,290miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

isnt it just the calliper carrier that is a diferent sieze between the larger and smaller disc's,
and the calliper its self is one sieze fits all ??????

regards malcolm
Carsten S
My Cars: 2001 Citroen C5 V6 aut.

Post by Carsten S »

citronut wrote:isnt it just the calliper carrier that is a diferent sieze between the larger and smaller disc's,
and the calliper its self is one sieze fits all ??????

regards malcolm
No, on the "smaller" Xantia's, the calipers only have one slide pin (don't know the correct term), and is locked by a little pin in the bottom.

HDi and V6 calipers have two slide pins;

More pictures of the HDi brakes here - Sorry, text is Danish, but you will clearly see the difference.
http://www.citronik.dk/jforum/posts/list/1092.page" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ok i stand corected, it seems i obviously have not worked on any V6's as yet,

although my R reg 1.9TD estate dose run 288mm discs, and has the single slide pin type calliper's,

regards malcolm
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

citronut wrote:... although my R reg 1.9TD estate dose run 288mm discs,
and has the single slide pin type calliper's,..
Mine has 283 mm discs (Estate) and I remember that 1.9TD Estate models also have
the same size disks and their calipers should fit mine too. This was some kind of memory note
for myself, in case I need to search for one :wink: from a scrap yard. I hope I will not need a replacement :)

jimmydod, there are people here who can search from service pages, any spare part for your car based on your car's VIN number 8-)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

VertVega wrote:
jimmydod, there are people here who can search from service pages, any spare part for your car based on your car's VIN number 8-)

me being one of them, but i still aint worked out how to copy page from service citroen and peugeot service box as yet,

appart from the part No. lists and price and part No. box's

regards malcolm
jimmydod
My Cars:

Post by jimmydod »

Thank you all for your replies, my calipers are definately not the ones that are supposed to fit I spoke to a very helpful man on phone from a factor who said in 2000 they ie Citroen fitted the same size to 1.6, 1.8 petrols and the 90hp 2.0HDI. Two years ago the robbing factor (another one) sold me a caliper that was far too large for my car; had to take it back and he searched and found one that was the same as the one I took into him and he said it was a 1600 petrol version. My VIN number is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. The helpful factor who I spoke to on the phone told me I needed a TCA 1574 front R/H but he didnt have any in, it was then I took caliper off and stripped unseizing handbrake mechanism and reassembled hand brake works fine no leaks from caliper piston. So my problem is to find rubber seals that will definately fit this oddball caliper. I also changed my hydraulic pump for one I bought second hand off ebay it is 3mm too far forward and does not accurately line up with spring loaded tensioner, so rang Martin at Plaides and I am sending him my old one to rebuild.

Regards to you all and many thanks for your suggestions.

Jim
jim the geriatric
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Pump alignment is variable.

You have to ignore the factoy assembled drawings; they are wrong. The flanged insert faces the pulley, the nut or bolt with a 45° taper goes through the mount bracket from the nearside.

As you tighten the bolt or nut, it expands the flanged insert, locking in position. This gives you up to 5mm of sideways adjustment.
jimmydod
My Cars:

Post by jimmydod »

Many thanks addo will have a look at this wednesday weather permitting when I am off.

Regards Jim
jim the geriatric
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

That's good, now citronut can look up the correct part number for you
with your VIN number VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] 8-)

------ Off topic ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

citronut, there are several ways for "Copying page" from Service Citroen.
Here are some options:
- Print Screen. Select the window (part list view) and using keyboard, press ALT + PrtScr keys.
(This will get a copy of the active window only, not the whole desktop.)
Open your favorite image editor and paste the image (for example shortcut keys CTRL + V).
Save the image in jpg format.

- Print it as pdf file.
You need a pdf converter (for example CutePdf or similar) installed as a printer.
Select page and use CTRl + P
The page will be saved (printed) as a pdf document.

- Save as html
Select save page --> Save as complete page
You will have the page available offline on your Hard disk

- Word doc
Select all on the page by mouse. Copy and paste into a word document

- Others
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

service.citroen reports that your car is fitted with the (smallest) 266mm discs. It lists two seal kits:

95667818 FR PIST SEA NEC 39.97 GBP 47.96 GBP 47.96 GBP

95667821 RUB PACKED STUD 38.09 GBP 45.71 GBP 45.71 GBP

Both of which look to contain the rubber gaiters - the lower one I think includes the slides as well. Not sure I'd fork out that much for either of them! It implies the brakes are Bosch, so it might be possible to buy the gaiters elsewhere.
Richard W
jimmydod
My Cars:

Post by jimmydod »

Thank you RichardW

My calipers are definately Bendix as marked on is BXF (I think long time since Sunday) and yes discs are 266mm. O why o why did Citroen muckabout with so many different braking combinations makes life a worry in case you buy the wrong seals, Found a webb sight for Big Red but I just dont know which seal kit to plumb for. Many thanks for your hrlp.

Regards Jim
jim the geriatric