Xantia heater

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

Xantia heater

Post by froggy »

Hi, my series 1 Xantia . The heater is only blowing luke warm air and not hot air . Do I need to replace the thermastat ?
cheers Terry .
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Xantia heater

Post by spider »

Where is the temperature gauge sat during normal running / driving ?

The thermostat is one thing, it might just be airlocked (in just the heater) , another less likely possibility is the heater control cable / flap is not operating properly.

Thermostat is a good place to start though, I'd be tempted to change it if in doubt anyway as you'll be able to flush out and have to bleed the system while you're at it.

If you wanted a 'no cost' test, rebleed the coolant system, at minimum the heater valve (I'm assuming its the same as a 406 in that there's a tyre valve type cap fitted on one hose up by the bulkhead, usually about out of sight)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If a bleed did not help, does the heater start off lovely and hot and then cool right off?

Does the car have aircon?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

The engine runs just a fraction under 80 degrees, but the heater starts cold and only reaches luke warm Jim .
many thanks Terry .
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No worries Terry, it's just there is a known issue with the cabin temperature sensor that will cause the gheater to start off hot and then cool right off due to the little fan in the sensor seizing and stopping airflow over it. It ends up reading the under-dash temperature, which is hot! and decides that the cabin is too hot and cools it off...

Are the pipes going to the matrix nice and hot?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

Hi Jim , the pipes going to the matrix are only warm . thanks Terry
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

If the pipes to the heater are only luke warm then theres a flow problem if your temp is reading "Normal" which under 80 deg is about right..

Whats the "Anti Freeze" history like?? Lack of, or correct amount?? Or not enough? Is the water Brown with rust??

Am asking as there could be a restriction at the head gasket of water flow.. Water direction is from the block through the head gasket then out the back of the head - I have seen many a head gasket with the water ways bunged up with "rusty" particles from rusty water due to lack of no anti freeze.. Unfortunally, as the block is cast it will and does rust with water, so a strong mix of anti freeze with "Anti Rust" hibitors in it is needed essentially to prevent the restriction..

Paul
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

Hi, the antifreeze I change every two years and I"ve changed it this summer . many thanks Terry.
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Are you sure it's 100% properly bled Terry?

Don't for get you need to bleed the matrix via the tyre valve cap on the matrix elbow connector. If you don't do this at coolant change time you'll surely have an airlock in the matrix.
Jim

froggy
Donor 2023

Post by froggy »

Thanks Jim , I will let you know . cheers Terry . :)
Terry
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

Hi my citroen mk1 heater does not blow hot enough air. The engine temperature remains between 70 and 80 degrees. Sometimes when i just start the fan it gets hot but immediately cools off. It may be the sensor issue as mentioned in a previous post. But however this happens even when i turn the temperature knob all the way till red. From my understanding at this setting the hot air should blow at max irrespective of the temperature sensed. Can you guide me where is the hot/cold flap located so that i can see its position.
Xantia Estate 1999 2.0 HDI 110
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The temperature slider on red causes slow fan speed to have the hottest possible air.
Looks like the temperature sensor, maybe first try blowing into it with a short tube.
The hot air flap can’t be seen or reached, it’s buried in the works and operated by a motor tucked under the very front of the passenger’s side of the centre console.
That’s all assuming that it’s an air-conditioned car because normal heating wouldn’t cool off that fast.

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

No my point was this that if i put the temperature slider on extreme red, should it not override the temperature sensor, because that means i am not asking it to regulate any temperature but rather blow at maximum heat.
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

aneesh84 wrote:No my point was this that if i put the temperature slider on extreme red, should it not override the temperature sensor, because that means i am not asking it to regulate any temperature but rather blow at maximum heat.
That is indeed true. In fact, from cold the flap will be in the full hot position and it will move gradually cooler as the sensors detect heat.

The flap is motor driven and with the motor in place with its reduction gearbox it is almost impossible to see where the flap is. You may be able to see the flap extension arm (there for non-AC cars to attach a control cable to) if you squint past the motor shown in Clogzz's post with a mirror but you'll be lucky. If you can, the end of the arm will face toward the front of the car when in the fully hot position. It arcs around roughly 6o degrees between cold and hot.

This picture of an early MK1 heater box upside-down and removed from a car for clarity helps to show there the extension arm is. It is shown in the fully hot position here...

Have you checked the water pipes to the matrix are getting nice and hot? More often than not, a cool heater is caused by either by an air lock in the matrix pipes, a silted-up matrix or inadequate airflow caused by leaves in the intake or a blocked pollen filter. The flap itself is usually fairly reliable.
Jim

aneesh84
My Cars:

Post by aneesh84 »

Thanks citrojim. I could not see the picture of the heater in your post.

Also can you explain where exactly the input line to heater matrix is, so that i can feel the temperature. Or any picture that you can show me for the same. Do i have to go under the bonnet to reach it?
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh