Bleeding Coolant - 2001 C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

carpy
My Cars:

Bleeding Coolant - 2001 C5

Post by carpy »

In more ways than one. Been having a problem with coolant exploding out the expansion tank cap. Today I made an additional header tank out of an old pop bottle, fitted it and filled it up with 1 1/2 litres of water. I then opened up the 3 bleed screws until coolant flowed out. I then started the engine and waited. The coolant level would very slowly increase then suddenly go back down again as if flushing a toilet. I left the engine running and the coolant got super hot (pipes from thermostat and top of rad too hot to touch for more than a couple of seconds). The temp gauge in the car got to the middle but never higher and the rad fan never kicked in. If I squeezed either one of the pipes from the thermostat the water in the additional header tank would initially bubble like heck (and I'd burn my fingers).
Anyone any thoughts as I'm flummoxed.
Cheers
Carpy
2001 C5 2.0Hdi LX
mlkey

Re: Bleeding Coolant - 2001 C5

Post by mlkey »

Stating the obvious I know, but it does sound like a head gasket is starting to go. I have one go on mine old HDI at 118k miles. It was not bad, still driveable, but would pressurise the coolant to the point of blowing it out of the expansion cap. Suggest you do the checks for a head gasket.
carpy
My Cars:

Post by carpy »

I half expected it might be something like that. Being a complete noob how do you check for head gasket failure, it was easy on my old rover, the water turned to mayonnaise :(
Thanks
Carpy
2001 C5 2.0Hdi LX
wotwot
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 1982 GSA 1299
1984 bx 1600
zx 5 door x 2
xantia estate
dispatch
xara picasso
807 SE

Post by wotwot »

I think the mayonnaise colour looks so much nicer than black oil lol.
It could be gone between piston and waterway causing pressure build up.
Might try starting it from cold with the water cap off blip the throttle a few times from the engine bay "if you can" and see if the water rises and falls or just comes gushing out the top.
mlkey

Post by mlkey »

Several ways. Run the engine and look for bubbles coming up in the expansion bottle, this method did not work for me.. The other option is to get it tested for gases in the coolant. They are prone to going on the rear left corner as you look at them from the front. I would recommend changing the water pump at the same time, and cam belt if it is anywhere near due.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Going back a few steps. When was the coolant exploding from the header tank cap?

You may just have a poor seal on your cap. I had this on my Audi and a new cap with new rubber O ring fixed it.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Only bled mine once when it blew off one of the bleed caps.

I found it extraorinarily easy.

Overdue for a coolant change so will probably have to eat my words soon :(
carpy
My Cars:

Post by carpy »

Thanks for the thoughts. I did replace the header tank cap. Tonight I attached my additional header tank (pop bottle), half filled it and bled the system via the bleed screws again. I then started the car and let it tick over and not a lot happened but as soon as I blipped the throttle there were a lot of bubbles in the pop bottle. I let it tick over again and not a lot happened and then I blipped the throttle again and guess what, a lot of bubbles in the pop bottle. This happened time and time again. My heart is sinking as I ask the inevitable 'is this the head gasket going', I suspect yes.
2001 C5 2.0Hdi LX
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

I'm not sure but it sounds like you may not be bleeding the system properly.

You can't bleed it fully until the thermostat has opened which means running the engine until it's warm.

The last time I blead my coolant and refilled I attached a 'pop' botttle as you. This raises the head of new coolant above the highest bleed screw.

So, with pop bottle in place, run the engine until the top hose begins to get warm. This means the thermostat has opened.

Then, starting at the lowest bleed screw (by height), open it until water comes out. Do all bleed screws in turn.

Keep the coolant level high in the pop bottle all the time to provide the head of fluid. When all bleed screws are shut you can stop the engine and remove the pop bottle. This obviously means you need to catch the excess fluid to stop it going everywhere.

Bubbles in the header tank when you blip the throttle will be because the water pump speed increases and will push through some of the air still in the system.
There are some signs for a blown head gasket like, continuous bubbles in the header tank all the time the engine is running, creamy emulsified oil around the oil filler cap when it's removed, signs of water on the dip stick. You could get a garage to sniff the coolant for signs of combustion products but, this isn't always reliable.
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.