dw8 engine dont know what to do now

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

berlingo bango
My Cars:

dw8 engine dont know what to do now

Post by berlingo bango »

I sent my head in from my van as I thought I had a bent valve as the bolt from the camshaft had fallen out (the belt staid on but wobbled about ) when i got a new bolt i was smoking and running rough. the guy at the shop said the valves were ok one was worn and suspect looking so he changed it, set all the clearances, sorted me with new gasket set and bolts.
put every thing back together aligned pins in holes van wouldn't start so seemed like timing phoned the guy at the shop to ask if he had moved the cam timing wheel he said it was removed but put back on as it was, he all so added if i was still having an issue with smoke i could make fine adjustments to the cam wheel . so i played about with the fuel pump timing and it wouldn't start. so i moved the camshaft wheel about 1mm back so the cam would be running 1mm forward and the van started i adjusted the fuel pump timing but it was a little knocky no matter were i put it so i moved the camshaft wheel forward 1/2mm and it ran near perfect took it for test drive it was rattly on excelearation and not much power so i headed back to my garage all of a sudden there was loud weep weep sounded like metal scraping oil warning and presher lites started flickering so i turned ignition off and pushed it the rest of the way.
It seems a little suspishes not to be related with what i have dun but i thought i was being carful anyway if you know what the best approach on what to do next (take it to a garage) ? does it sound like that should have happened with what i have dun ? what have i dun? it would be a grate help to hear other opinions thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: dw8 engine dont know what to do now

Post by Peter.N. »

Sounds as though it was out of oil, did you check it?

Peter
berlingo bango
My Cars:

Post by berlingo bango »

oil was checked before and after this noise. and there is plenty in there
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

As I understand it then the engine was still running but you turned it off. Was it labouring or running slowly or was it normal apart from the scraping noise?

Peter
berlingo bango
My Cars:

Post by berlingo bango »

yes it was struggling slowing down sounded like it was going to cut out so I switched it off
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I think the first thing you need to do is find a mechanic who knows what he's doing, screeching noises and the engine slowing to a stop sounds like it was seizing up through lack of oil somewhere. Probably your best bet with this if it has seized is a second hand engine.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

WAG but I would suspect the oil feed to the head.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Have you put the head gasket on the right way around ? might sound silly but if i remember right it will go round the wrong way & it blocks an oil feed to the camshaft.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Ooh, that's nasty! Who designed it like that?