Sliding brake caliper on ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

the_weaver
My Cars:

Sliding brake caliper on ZX

Post by the_weaver »

On my ZX 1.9D, I've got Bendix front brakes, with one piston and a sliding caliper. The caliper is mounted on two sliding sleeves. Each metal sleeve has two grooves, which are to locate the rubber gaiter. One of the grooves is closer to the edge than the other one. On one side the groove is about 1mm from the edge. On the other side the groove is about 4mm from the edge. This suggests that the sleeves are meant to fit in a particular orientation. Unfortunately, my garage has been dismantling in this area, and I'm now left with the sleeves orientated differently. It looks wrong to me, but I don't know which way round the sleeves are supposed to be. Can anybody tell me which way round the sleeves go.

Thanks

Paul
ZX 1.9D, 1993, 218K.
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Sliding brake caliper on ZX

Post by citronut »

well on service citroen it doesnt show the slides in the same box as the calliper, but a small widow/box at the top of the same page,

if the oriantation is as it fits into the calliper it sudgests the 4mm depth/distance goes towards the mounting bolt head,

hope this helps,

here is price and part No. of the slide kit

Part Number Description Quantity Price excl. VAT Price incl. VAT Total incl. VAT Selection
0000443903 REPAIR KIT 62.59 GBP 75.11 GBP 75.11 GBP

regards malcolm
the_weaver
My Cars:

Re: Sliding brake caliper on ZX

Post by the_weaver »

Malcolm

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking that the wider gap might be to space the rubber gaiter away from the hot caliper, but that would be the opposite to the picture from Citroen. That was the only reason I could think of, for the gap being wider on one side. I think it's a bit a of a bad design, having 4 mm of metal exposed outside of the rubber gaiter. Once the plating has gone, the rust sets in and eventually works it's way under the gaiter. The rust is always worse on that wider side of the slider.

Paul
ZX 1.9D, 1993, 218K.