Information source for tyres

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Information source for tyres

Post by Richard_C »

(OK, Tires if you must)

Trawling for data on tyres, and seeking to understand all the markings, I found quite a lot of interest on a NHTSA run site in the USA. They have a site full of consumer information here:

http://www.safercar.gov/Tire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you look on the right hand side there is a link to "Tire rating lookup". You can input any tyre (tire) manufacturer and get a list of traction, treadwear and temperature ratings for their products. Warning - if it's a manufacturer with a wide range, then it takes a while to load, still waiting for Goodyear whist I write this. There may be some diferences in brands and brand names between USA and Europe, but the list looks pretty comprehensive as I guess a lot end up over there on Merc and the like.

I was going to post this on the Citroen forum but put it here as it may be of wider, if slightly nerdy, interest.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: Information source for tyres

Post by Citroenmad »

A nice find.
Its worth noting that often tyres in other countries are not the same as we get here. Different tread designs, compounds, etc but with similar or the same names. As thats an American site it might differ a lot. You will have to know the code after the name, so E3A for the old style Michelin Energy.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10