engine-cover foam

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Norlander

engine-cover foam

Post by Norlander »

Am told the -- sound-deadening, or is it just to stop the cover from rattling? -- foam that's inside the plastic cover mounted on top of a (2.2 in this case) HDi engine is not listed by Citroen as a separate spare part.
The plastic on ours is still fine, but the dried-out foam isn't..... :(
Does anyone know where to get some foam of the right size and type that could be DIY substituted?

And does it being there make much difference anyway?
dnsey

Re: engine-cover foam

Post by dnsey »

Well mine has some sort of felt rather than foam, but you should find something suitable here: http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-15-sound-deadening.aspx.
You might need to check the maximum allowable temperature for your chosen material, though.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: engine-cover foam

Post by CitroJim »

If all else fails, go to a scrappy and see if you can rescue a piece of felt from under the bonnet of a suitable donor... It looks much the same stuff...

It's there to reduce noise mainly...

One thing my local dealer told me today was how important it is to keep the cover fully clipped down. If the clip nearest the oil filler cap is AWOL the cover can work the oil filler cap out by vibrating against it..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...