Winter is a coming...therefore heating must fail. C5 Mk I

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

frenchcarnut

Winter is a coming...therefore heating must fail. C5 Mk I

Post by frenchcarnut »

Well, it's that Law again known to Mr Sod and his entourage of spellbinders and talismen. The one that comes in just when you don't need it - a week before a holiday, with much to do and no time to do it..........stating as a text from Mrs Frenchcarnut which goes, "The heating's not working"

"Do you mean the blower or what is not working?" went back my clarification request...but alas no response from the source, only silence that will no doubt be punctuated later in the day when the car returns to the doorstep!!!

Well, I will wait and see before jumping in with both feet to assume another few hundred notes at least, but I've yet to confirm it's the blower or the fact that no heated liquid is circulating through <sigh>.

Are there any known heating issues on the C5 Mk I to get me started?

Cheers in advance
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
Clogzz
My Cars:

Re: Winter is a coming...therefore heating must fail. C5 Mk

Post by Clogzz »

The coolant always flows through the matrix, with nothing to regulate or stop it.
The blower module transistor IRFP064N is in the habit of packing up, somehow just like on the Xantia. :twisted:
The module can also be replaced, but don’t know the price.
I’ll look for details when I can because the forum has become so slow that I can hardly use it. :evil:
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

The resistor failed on mine during the snow last year, temp control still worked and it gave warm air if you got to about 90, fan and distributation did not work. Got new resistor on e-bay, think it was about £50, 5 mins to fit it, it's up high in the drivers footwell near the clutch. Mine was a 2.2hdi sx with auto climate control.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

daviemck2006 wrote:The resistor failed on mine during the snow last year, temp control still worked and it gave warm air if you got to about 90, fan and distributation did not work. Got new resistor on e-bay, think it was about £50, 5 mins to fit it, it's up high in the drivers footwell near the clutch. Mine was a 2.2hdi sx with auto climate control.
Same here a couple of years ago. Mine was £45 from the dealer. Easy fix.

Don't bin the old one (like I did) as I think that it is the output transistors that fail and could well be a very cheap replacement - under £5 I imagine.
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Thanks for the tips thus far.

Well, checked the appropriate fuse as all I fancied doing in the light but of course that's okay.

So functionality of air conditioning seems fine (although I couldn't get the fan speed LCDs up at one point, but they came back on after a power re-cycle - just the blower not working.

So now onto the HBM / HBM resistor. Do we know what the reading on the latter should be as a check? Of course my VIN no longer matches on service.citroen.com :| for electrical for some reason.
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Well I decided to get the "resistor" off and take a look. I love the way this gets called a resistor. There appears to be all manner of SMCs and a whacking great voltage regulator stuck on an equally monstrous heatsink. There's about 3 dry joints where the green connector brackets meet the SMB, but they're conducting okay. And numerous capacitors, resistors and black-box SM ICs I don't know the specs to and would find hard to remove and re-solder being SMs.

So plenty new Valeo replacement units on eBay to source (but I might ring Citroen for a laugh) and then if it's not that, try a replacement blower unit for more or less the same price.

Oh the fun of Citroening
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
frenchcarnut

Re: Winter is a coming...therefore heating must fail. C5MkI

Post by frenchcarnut »

£72.84 (VAT Inc) from my local dealer and in stock. So for a £10-£12 difference (after including eBay postage), I might as well pick one up locally and give it a go.

Citroen call it a "Control Module" and the parts guy knew immediately what I was talking about, so fingers crossed it is actually the problem and having taken the unit out last night, there is actually no difference in the behaviour of the climate control at all!!! Feels like it's the one, Neo!! :D

I'll be moaning again if it isn't :|

Cheers
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I'm wagering it's that big bugger which throws in the towel, rather like the Xantias. Found a cheaper thermal conductive epoxy at Farnells; enough to do quite a few cars for not many pesos.
frenchcarnut

Re:

Post by frenchcarnut »

addo wrote:I'm wagering it's that big bugger which throws in the towel, rather like the Xantias. Found a cheaper thermal conductive epoxy at Farnells; enough to do quite a few cars for not many pesos.
Eh? You mean the voltage regulator bit that sits on the fins? What's its part number and can you get it from Farnell or Maplin? EDIT - Sorry Addo, realised you're in NSW so Farnell and Maplin might not mean anything to you - just a few electrical component stores.

Looking at it, it's only three soldered pins and some paste (I have some heatsink paste used for PC chips - Artic Silver). Actually the large voltage regulator seems at least serviceable - the rest (SMC - surface mount components) I'd be more than disinclined to be bothered with!!!!

EDIT2 - Managed to get the spring clip off the VR sitting on the heatsink and break the cooling paste seal, but cannot make out any number on the component at all. Oh well!!
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It's actually bonded to the heatshink, so you need a heat conducting glue rather than just the overclocker's thermal conductive paste. Closest match carried by Farnells Oz is also made by ST but the prefix varies:

Original I have is H80NF55-08
Farnells have STP80NF55-08

They're $4.12 each here, free postage.
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

myglaren wrote:
daviemck2006 wrote:The resistor failed on mine during the snow last year, temp control still worked and it gave warm air if you got to about 90, fan and distributation did not work. Got new resistor on e-bay, think it was about £50, 5 mins to fit it, it's up high in the drivers footwell near the clutch. Mine was a 2.2hdi sx with auto climate control.
Same here a couple of years ago. Mine was £45 from the dealer. Easy fix.

Don't bin the old one (like I did) as I think that it is the output transistors that fail and could well be a very cheap replacement - under £5 I imagine.
Doubled in price now like everything else :roll: If it's the one voltage regulator/transistor that sits on the colling fins, then I can solder (and thermally paste) on a new one but can't find any identification markings on it.
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
frenchcarnut

Re:

Post by frenchcarnut »

addo wrote:It's actually bonded to the heatshink, so you need a heat conducting glue rather than just the overclocker's thermal conductive paste. Closest match carried by Farnells Oz is also made by ST but the prefix varies:

Original I have is H80NF55-08
Farnells have STP80NF55-08

They're $4.12 each here, free postage.
Thanks addo. Actually when you look up Farnells over here with that part number, they actually list a paste you can use. I can't use return on my browser at the moment without this site hanging but here's the UK Farnell link: http://uk.farnell.com/stmicroelectronic ... P80NF55-08" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

LOL, they're cheaper over here by a good 15%. Is Australia closer to Morocco than the UK? :roll:
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

The difference with Farnell's is in the case type (TO-220 as opposed to TO-247 used by Valeo for this part) which have differing pinout dimensions and distances. I suppose I could somehow re-distance the pins somehow.

Just checked on digi-help live chat, and they say the part with that case and pin configuration (TO-247) is now obsolete, so I would have to use the Farnell configuration. For just a few quid, might give it a go and see what transpires.

And addo, did you not know? We live in "Rip-Off Britain"!!!!
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Farnell UK = minimum £20 order <sigh>

That's how they do business in the UK.
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR