C5 index door mirror help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

waynedance

C5 index door mirror help

Post by waynedance »

The passenger mirror I believe adjusts when reverse selected.

I have rear the manual and done as it says, when I select reverse you can see the glass twitching but not moving down to thw position pre set.

Sometimes with the engine running and in reverse nothing happens when trying to adjust the mirror.

Has anyone got any ideas or had same problem, thanks.

Mk1 C5 2.2 Exclusive
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

I would check the linkages in the mirror first, the whole linkage assembly is made of rather fragile plastic and it's quite common in my experience for bits to break / come disconnected often happens if the mirror gets a smack.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
sonoramicommando
My Cars: 1991 Citroen XM 2.0 carb manual

Post by sonoramicommando »

can you still adjust using the 4 way switch?
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Mirror works fine on normal adjustment when not in reverse.
Volvo S80 D5.........
sonoramicommando

Strange - mine still throws fits every so often too. It doesn't twitch but either moves or doesn't.
I'm assuming you've read the manual a few times - it didn't read very clear to me the first time I read it.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: C5 index door mirror help

Post by DickieG »

The indexed mirror needs to be set to your desired position when reversing, when new and as most people don't RTFHB the mirror is left in its standard position so no or very little indexing. Put the car into reverse with the ignition on then adjust the mirror position for reversing, move the gear lever back into neutral and the mirror should move back into its normal position. If the mirror doesn't move back into its normal position its more than likely that your car doesn't have the option, if the mirror twitches but does not move all the way I'd say the adjustment mechanism is the cause.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
sonoramicommando

DickieG wrote:...if the mirror twitches but does not move all the way I'd say the adjustment mechanism is the cause.
The OP stated that adjustment works when not in reverse, which, with twitching when reverse is engaged, sounds to me it's not the mechanism itself.
Also, for door mirror indexing on reverse to work, the mirror adjustment selector switch should be set for passenger side. But you already knew that. I usually have mine set in the middle position because it's only useful for parallel parking, which I don't do all that much.
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

sonoramicommando wrote:
DickieG wrote:...if the mirror twitches but does not move all the way I'd say the adjustment mechanism is the cause.
The OP stated that adjustment works when not in reverse, which, with twitching when reverse is engaged, sounds to me it's not the mechanism itself.
Also, for door mirror indexing on reverse to work, the mirror adjustment selector switch should be set for passenger side. But you already knew that. I usually have mine set in the middle position because it's only useful for parallel parking, which I don't do all that much.
The O/P's description is consistent with a tooth or two missing on the gear assembly will work fine in some places and twitches when it reaches the missing tooth.

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
sonoramicommando

cachaciero wrote:
sonoramicommando wrote:
The O/P's description is consistent with a tooth or two missing on the gear assembly will work fine in some places and twitches when it reaches the missing tooth.

cachaciero
Ok - I get you.
So, if the OP tries replicating the exact motion of mirror indexing as would happen with reverse on, using the 4 way switch and twitching occurs, then it's the gear assembly problem, correct? I take it's because indexing takes the mirror way out of the normal adjustment range?
thanks,
Sam
2006 C6 Exclusive 2.7HDi
1982 GSA Pallas
A couple of bikes
A boyracer car ;)
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

Ok - I get you.
So, if the OP tries replicating the exact motion of mirror indexing as would happen with reverse on, using the 4 way switch and twitching occurs, then it's the gear assembly problem, correct? I take it's because indexing takes the mirror way out of the normal adjustment range?
thanks,
Sam
That's a good summation :-)

cachaciero
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Hi, after setting the mirror as in the manual when i sellect reverse gear you can see the mirror twitching as if wanting to move.

Adjust the mirror while in reverse to set only works sometimes, the mirror will not move in any dirtection at times.
Hope this help a little more.

Thank you
Volvo S80 D5.........
andybsmith

Post by andybsmith »

I find it easier to set the LHS mirror to pointing at the rear wheel all of the time and turn off the indexing function. If I need the mirror pointing behind the car to show traffic I adjust manually it saves a lot of grief and swearing
Its a French car, it has foibles, patience is a virtue
Xantia VSX 155 bhp
C5 2.2 Exclusive