exhaust & Inlet manifold gasket sealants???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

exhaust & Inlet manifold gasket sealants???

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Hi, I am appealing to those of you that strip down engines frequently.

is there anything in the modern sealants range that will tolerate exhaust manifold temperatures.?
and what would be best to use as an inlet manifold sealant?

just thought I'd ask as times change and the old Hermitites seem all the harder to get a hold of we used to be able to buy a blue hylomar sealant that set hard but these days it sets soft and golden hermetite seems to have dissapeared altogether, I am wondering if I can use some of the high tech silicone's but knowing which is a bit of a lottery.

any help would be gratefully appreciated, in helping to reassemble my 2cv.

cheers Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Re: exhaust & Inlet manifold gasket sealants???

Post by andy5 »

falling-out-with-my-car wrote: I am wondering if I can use some of the high tech silicone's but knowing which is a bit of a lottery.
I've no idea of the answer to that for your Citroen, but there was definitely a special acid-free silicone rubber used by Rover on the plate gasket that covers across the middle of their V8 engine
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Wasn't it the Blue Hylomar that remained a bit flexible, and the Red Hylomar that set solid? I've still got a tube of the blue lurking somewhere :D
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

There is a high temperature gasket sealant, based on silicone, for exhausts but I have no experience of it. I believe it might be copper-loaded. Try your local factors...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've got half a dozen or so tubes of Red Hermetite still sitting on my shelf here if anybody wants one. (they're sticky on the outside where one leaked.)

And it's correct the blue Hylomar was a non setting sealant developed by Rolls Royce for face to face (no gasket) fits, reckoned to take up 10 thou of tolerance.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Xantidote wrote:Wasn't it the Blue Hylomar that remained a bit flexible, and the Red Hylomar that set solid? I've still got a tube of the blue lurking somewhere :D
Almost I think. Green Hermetite set solid, Red Hermetite sort of dried up and went non-sticky and Gold Hermetite remained sticky.

My favourite was also Blue Hylomar. I used to use it on my Alfa Romeo 1300 twin cam engine which needed frequent (!) rebuilds. It was available in aerosol form and a light spray on the headgasket ensured that it peeled off nicely from the ally head and block (cast iron wet liners) so that potentially damaging scraping wasn't needed.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Don't knw about exhaust manifolds but for pretty well everything else I use ordinary silicone sealant. If you apply it to one surface the night before you want to reassemble, it forms a nice soft rubber gasket that doesn't accidentally scrape off.

Peter