EW10J4 Water Pump Failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

EW10J4 Water Pump Failure

Post by addo »

A new one for me, at least on PSA motors.

Its shaft bearings collapsed, lunching the pressed metal impeller. The now-canted pump sprocket threw its timing belt, bending all sixteen valves in the Xsara which held it. I saw this on Thursday at a mate's workshop; they were asking me about replacement valves.

A good reason to change the water pump whenever the timing belt is done!
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Me too. The earlier ones (usually on the early XUD or some of the petrol TU's) would lose the impeller, it would either detach itself from the shaft or rot away a bit.

I have seen what you describe (it actually happened to me :oops: years ago, around 1991) not on a PSA engine but on a Ford CVH unit. There was no noise / warning either. Same thing, bearings went on holiday cambelt came off and some bent valves.

I do agree its good practise to change the pump anyway "while you're there" if nothing else as they do tend to fail (at least it seems so) a short time after if you don't do it with the belt.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Water Pump:

:shock:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I have had it happen on one of GM's finest in the past. A Poxhall Chavalier (Holden, the one between the Apollo and Commodore, to you Adam) 2.0 Petrol thing.. Can't think of what you down south call them now...

Luckily not bad enough to wreck the engine and only niticed as the engine was absolutely incapable of holding any coolant at all. It ran out as fast as you could pour it in....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yep, that's the one Adam :twisted:

Actually, it was not a bad car really, if I'm totally honest. It took an awful lot of abuse towing and it was terribly neglected.. The kids were young and there was no real time to give it TLC; it just soldiered on and on really doing a good job as a family hack...

The water pump did for it in the end as SWMBO only noticed a problem when the heater stopped working. By then the damage was done and it then suffered coolant pressurisation problems. On spotting this we ran it for a few months with a loose expansion cap before swapping it in for one of Henry's finest Festers for SWMBO to use as her first driving school hack...

Along that time I ran an AX and rarely drove the Poxhall - hence why the water pump died un-noticed... The AX suffered terrible abuse and neglect during this time but never complained once :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...