ball joint 806

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

ball joint 806

Post by Harlequin »

can they be changed and if so where to get them? tried ecp and fleabay but they only mention the who arm
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

You have to change the whole arm. Very unusual for the ball joint to be worn though.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i just looked on service citroen at the synerge and yes it will be the complete arm, as there differ from the likes of the 406 and XANT's,

thats not such a bad thing as the arm comes complete with the swivle and both bush's, this also makes a far easyer job of it,

i wouls trongly advise not buying the arm from ECP as there bush's are crap and dont seem to even last a year,

i would try GSF not sure if you have one in Eastbourne but there is one here in St Leonards on sea, just up the road from me,

regards malcolm
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4

Post by Harlequin »

the boots have split around teh ball joint itself - hence why i asked about just them (unless you can change the boot) doesnt seem any actual play in the ball joint though
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

have they been failed on an MOT yet,

at the moment just split swivle boots are not an MOT faliure, i belive this is going to be from next year,

usualy once the boot is split dirt and grit will get in and damage the joint,

regards malcolm
Harlequin
Donor 2023

Post by Harlequin »

no its not been put in yet - gave it a good look at with someone with far more experience than me (he ex mot tester) and he pointed out what was going to fail it - drop links , cv gaiter , anti roll bar bushes , what will need doing (brake pads and shocks) but even he wasnt 100% of the ball joints - theres no play just the rubber has split both sides.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

why dose he think the drop links will fail as they dont fail them anymore for just haveing play,

they cant even fail them if they are completly missing, only if one end has come off,

CV gaitors if they are not leaking and just perished they will be an advise only,

regards malcolm
Harlequin
Donor 2023

Post by Harlequin »

the os front gaiter is fallen to pieces , its being done tommorrow or friday (huge ass split but at £8 its not a bank breaker :P)

the drop links were an advisement from last time and the rubber has persished meaning theres play , same as the anti roll bar bushes (you can see where its falling apart)

other than that the rest is sound , all hoses and cables/lines are good with no visable wear , no undue leaks or rot thats too much.

i`ll try and get a piccie of the ball joint im on about - might help

edit

got some pics but can only see the split cover when its in the air and the weight is off it
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Replace the boots on the ball joints repacking them with grease as you do so. Boots are not sold seperately so reuse ones from balljoints or similar joints eg track rod ends or certain droplinks that have been replaced on other vehicles. Otherwise buy 2 balljoints with similar sized boots from your local autofactor. Its a shame to waste a full balljoint just to get the boot but it will be much cheaper and easier than having to replace the arm in a few months. By the way the droplinks on the 806 seldom wear.
Harlequin
Donor 2023

Post by Harlequin »

sadly mine have worn - but the mileage might account for it!
dieselnutjob

Post by dieselnutjob »

mine has a really bad knock in the front left suspension, but the MOT tester couldn't figure out what is causing it. It only seems to do it at slow speeds and things like dropping off a kerb or possibly steering lock change. It doesn't rattle on bumps. I'm not getting a rattle, it's a single heavy knock that I feel through the chassis.
I was wondering it it could be antiroll bar, or maybe a partially seizing bearing on the top of the strut.