1995 1.9D ZX - 2 questions for the price of one...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RussellF97
My Cars: 2012 Peugeot 207SW 1.6 Hdi
1995 Citroen ZX Elation 1.9D. Gone but not forgotten

1995 1.9D ZX - 2 questions for the price of one...

Post by RussellF97 »

Hi All,

1995 ZX Elation 1.9 D (non-turbo) 131838 miles

Q1): Bought some of Halfords finest glowplugs early this year and one has gone down already. Ho hum... Don't mock... Any recommendations for the best make of glow plug to use?

Q2): It was run on basic supermarket fuel over here in Brittany and I'd noticed a gradual falling off of it's not exactly exhilarating performance over the last year or so and tried some Redex injector cleaner which seems to have made a noticeable improvement - and smoothed out the roughish idle as a bonus.
Would it be worth the effort to give the little devil a decoke as well, or should I just continue with the Redex until I've finished the (litre) bottle and then run it on decent fuel?

I would welcome any thoughts you may have.

Cheers, Phil
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Phil,

Make sure you are using the right glowplugs... Non-Turbo glows are very different from the turbo glows and not interchangeable...

The best I find are BERU ones and you need the GV636. If you are fobbed off with the GN909 throw them back as they're for the turbo only...

This is a good site for cross-referencing glowplugs...

As for a decoke, don't. Just use the einjector cleaner and if you are confident the engine is well serviced and the cambelt is very good, do an 'Italian Tune-up' This entails dropping to third and holding the engine near the red-line for a few miles on a good clear stretch of road... That'll clear out any accumulated carbon! Just occasionally if the engine and notably the back-box is at all coked-up you may see sparks if you do it at night as lumps of glowing carbon are ejected :lol:

As I say, don't do this unless the engine is well serviced otherwise the strain my do it a mischief...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RussellF97

Post by RussellF97 »

Hi CitroJim, many thanks for your reply.
The timing belt has done 33,000 miles (I had it done when I bought the car at 98,000) and I've changed the oil & filter every 4500-5000 miles using Total oil and Purflex filters.
I think an 'Italian Tune-up' will come as a shock to it; I've rarely had the engine spinning more than 3000-3500rpm - which may be part of the problem, of course...
I'll let you know if it gets better - or goes Bang!! 8-)
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

Recently used some injector cleaner from Peugeot , made a noticable difference in the wifes laguna and my dispatch hdi , not cheap at £8 a bottle but I'll certainly get some more

Mark
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

also check the cold start device's on the fuel pump are working corectly,

especialy make sure the contacts on the front of the pump are clean and in working order, as these conect the earth feed to the advance servo,

regards malcolm
RussellF97

Post by RussellF97 »

Hi Malcolm, thanks for that, but this car has the plain vanilla version of the Lucas/CAV pump; the only electrical connection is for the stop solenoid. 8-)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It'll have the waxstat, the device in the thermostat housing that pulls on the pump fast-idle lever by way of a cable...

The waxstats don't live long and are often non-functional but having said that, the 200 or so rpm in crease the allow in cold idle speed does make quite a difference...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...