xantia track rods

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiasmiff
My Cars:

xantia track rods

Post by xantiasmiff »

Just replaced both drop-links (Lemforder) and i have an annoying click when turning steering wheel. Anyway, got my wife to turn the wheel whilst i grabbed both track- rods in turn. there is visible movement accompanying the clicks on both sides in the inner track rod boots. Could someone do an idiots guide to changing these rods. Me being the idiot!! :lol: Thanks
xantiasmiff
My Cars:

Post by xantiasmiff »

Just searched and came across citrojims photos regarding track rod removal on the bench. Wonder if poss to hire special tool to remove them without steering rack removal? Seems a bit expensive for something that wont be used very often. Any thoughts anyone?
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Jack up car
Support securely on axle stands
Remove road wheel
Remove nut from track rod end taper
Split track rod end from hub
Turn steering to full lock (left lock for drivers side (UK), right lock for passenger side (UK))
Pull back gaiter from inner track rod end
Attach mole grips to inner track rod
Tap mole grip with hammer to loosen
Unscrew and remove.
Replacement is reverse of removal.
Check tracking

Getting the mole grips in can be a bit of a pain, removing the lower wishbone first makes the job a lot easier. (As I found out the last time)

About 3 hours work the first time, including wishbone removal and refit.
xantiasmiff
My Cars:

Post by xantiasmiff »

Many Thanks for the info Rory. Sounds quite straightforward. For a Xantia :) Iwill order the parts and give it a go.
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

It is a straight forward job, I had a look at the special tools and after an email exchange with the very helpful people at Laser tools concluded that the one I needed was circa £70 wich I considered too much.

Getting the rubber cover/gaiter off the passenger side inner rod end without damaging it was probably the most difficult part. I used a wide flat blade screw driver to get behind it (with a bit of light tapping with a small hammer) to gentley lever it off a bit at a time.
xantiasmiff
My Cars:

Post by xantiasmiff »

Thanks for the tips Rory. Iwill be changing the rods tomorrow.Weather permitting.