Why are 'luxurious' cars still rear drive?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Spaces
Location: Rarely in one place for too long - Hebridean Islands and Yorkshire are my favourites
My Cars:

Why are 'luxurious' cars still rear drive?

Post by Spaces »

For anyone who followed the off-topic 'discussion' about the ins and outs of rear wheel drive/front engine on another thread, here is the place to have that argument over which makes more sense - on public roads, not on a racetrack.

I can see the benefits of both, have driven good rear drive cars many thousands of miles (and continue to do so) but why are the expensive brands still largely RWD/fe when many genuine performance cars (Porsche, for example) have the engine over the driven wheels?

I reckon it's for two reasons, beyond the mis-guided snobbery. Firstly because the purchasers want a product where the controls are as refined as possible - and the steering on a rear drive car is usually better because of the front tyres doing a lot less work - the engine will probably be huge and put out 300 and more lb/ft. Any lack of traction is generally irrelevant as these cars are usually driven in the 'wafting' fashion, maybe with a chaffeur.

Mentioning the chaffeur introduces the second reason for the odd engineering. In a shoot-out or potential hostage situation, a powerful RWD/fe car can be made to turn 180 degrees in a very tight space, whereas a front drive/all wheel drive one cannot. Any ensuing chase is a race, where pedestrians and other obstacles may be disregarded. In this situation, a very powerful RWD/fe car can be controlled more accurately by a driver who has been trained to drive RWD/fe cars very fast.

I wonder whether French gangsters prefered CXs or fast RWD Peugeots? I don't suppose any old French films would give an accurate account of a chase - the good guys usually win!

One point I made elsewhere was the fact that the Nazis often left their powerful Mercedes for 60hp front drive Citroens when chasing Resistance, who were also in Tractions. Presumably because the Mercedes couldn't keep up unless on a straight road (which the Resistance presumably avoided!)

I may add a poll later, something along the lines of 'If you were in a chase, which car layout would you choose?'
PeterN: "Honest John's forum put the last nail in the coffin of owning a 2000- car. Many were still servicable, but CR, DMFs and needing fault codes read because your horn doesn't work - no thanks. All my life I have generally understood cars - until now."
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Simple, cost !
Wrong wheel drive, ooops, excuse me, front wheel drive cars are cheaper to manufacture. Rear wheel drive is superior in all ways for handling, road holding and grip but is costly to produce so is more viable for expensive cars where the manufacturer can charge a premium.
The Porsche 911 type drive configuration is also flawed but has become a dare not mess with car for Porsche for fear of losing sales from chinless city types ! The Cayman is a much better car because the engine is forward of the axle but Porsche won't give it the power it deserves as it would show the 911 up !!
Front wheel drive is also more practical from a space and packaging perspective.
Of course, the best of both worlds is 4WD with variable torque split.
It is for good reason that ALL proper race cars are RWD.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

One point I made elsewhere was the fact that the Nazis often left their powerful Mercedes for 60hp front drive Citroëns when chasing Resistance, who were also in Tractions. Presumably because the Mercedes couldn't keep up unless on a straight road (which the Resistance presumably avoided!)
That's a strange fact you keep digging up :lol:

Is that why Steve McQueen couldn't get away from Germans..........even on a motorbike ? :shock:

Fwd v rear. I can't remember which was best :?

Are you guys telling me that my old Mexico and Rover V8S and Triumph PI had better handling than V6 Xantia ? I need to think about this :-k
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Bit of a weird thread but FWD is mainly to move the masses and give a cheap, quiet and compact package, RWD is firstly more fun but also more manouverable in certain situations and they tend to drive a lot cleaner in my experience, no torque steer etc etc BUT the worst car i ever had was a M reg BMW 520i, handled like a shopping trolly full of spuds dispite its low miles and full service book so the arguement one is better than the other is utter rubbish.

With either you need throttle control, most front wheel drives dont understeer if you drive them right just the same as most modern RWD's dont keep trying to point you where you have just been but if you cant drive the car wont help you.

4WD is of course an answer but you loose a lot of power in the drivetrain, its expensive as hell to produce and more so to maintain (especialy if its in a BX)

Anyway, in my veiw it doesnt make too much difference what wheels are driven but i wouldnt buy a FWD TVR, a RWD Rangerover would be useless and a 4WD Micra would be stupid..................

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Deanxm wrote: and a 4WD Micra would be stupid..................
Any Micra. Nasty little tin boxes...
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

good for putting biscuits in though :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Deanxm wrote:good for putting biscuits in though :lol:

D
Open the sunrooof and use it as a moneybox...

..or a skip...

No, actually Micras are used extensively by the highways agencies as traffic calming and speed control devices... In their nomenclature they're known as 'Mobile Chicanes'

Be honest now, has anyone actually witnessed a Micra proceeding at more then 40MPH?

...I rest my case...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

are they capable of 40mph even when piloted by the living?

D
Last edited by Deanxm on 03 Oct 2011, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

For some reason, Micra's are a big hit with a lot of the Takeaway Kebab shop's around here for their delivery cars! :lol:
Franklin
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

When instructing "blues and two's" I always warn students about two groups of vehicles that generally have a poor reaction to emergency vehicles on blues, one is nissan Micra's, the other Volvo's. I presume that Micra's are bought by many who view cars as white goods and have little interest in inproving their driving/observation skills and many Volvo's are bought by people who realise that their driving skills are so poor that they buy what they think is the safest car as they know they are likely to be involved in a collision for similar reasons.

Its always quite a source of merryment for the students after having been given the briefing to then observe it in action almost as if I've staged it :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Deanxm wrote:are they capable of 40mph even when piloted by the living?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Citroening wrote:Micra's are a big hit with a lot of the Takeaway Kebab shop's around here for their delivery cars! :lol:
You enjoy cold kebabs then Franklin?
DickieG wrote:Its always quite a source of merryment for the students after having been given the briefing to then observe it in action almost as if I've staged it :lol:
I really do rest my case....

At the head of any queue you'll be sure to find a Micra...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

CitroJim wrote:You enjoy cold kebabs then Franklin?
The very reason we pick them up ourselves! :lol: :lol:
Franklin
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

DickieG wrote:I presume that Micra's are bought by many who view cars as white goods and have little interest in inproving their driving/observation skills
These people are now flocking in their thousands to the Hyundai i10. I swear, i10 drivers are the most horrific on the road. A guaranteed 29 MPH in a 30 zone!
French is best.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Deanxm wrote:are they capable of 40mph even when piloted by the living?

D

Oh yes, if driven properly they can even get up to 60, I had one while my megane was having it's wing replaced, however no amount of bouncing and yelling "Go! Go! Micra power!" could get it up to 70mph.
Once it did let me nearly select reverse doing 50mph though...
Well, it's their fault for putting it in the same place as the megane's 6th :D
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

So that's why my mate bought his wife a Micra when she passed her test :twisted: