Xantia S1 - Help! LHM pouring out front anti-sink valve

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Xantia S1 - Help! LHM pouring out front anti-sink valve

Post by Old-Guy »

Daughter's S1 Estate (2.0i 16V) has been leaking LHM at an increasing rate this week, yesterday it became extreme (1L in half mile). SOS call to Daddy. So now I'm 150miles from home, fixing daughters , and regretting leaving laptop (with loads of useful threads saved) at home.

With engine running, steady stream from inboard end of (front anti-sink?) valve under the LHM tank. Just tocheck my identification, this valve has one pipe at rear, two at front and one at outboard end.

I opened the pressure relief valve with the engine running and lever on low, usual faint 'wheee' but car didn't drop. Probably not enough LHM to fully pressurise system, but maybe the front anti-sink valve won't pressurise anyway?

If I undo the pipes on the valve, I imagine the front will sink, dumping a fair quantity of LHM on kind neighbour's garage floor - this might make me a little unpopular! Is there any less messy alternative?

How do I get the end-cap off? Bearing in mind that I'm in deepest rural Devon, an hour's drive from the nearest city, anyone got any ideas on sourcing a replacement O-ring? Material spec and dimensions would be fantastic.

Ta muchly

Do you
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Send daughter here; problem solved.

More seriously, apparently 4026.87 fits; this is from my understanding one of the green o-rings from the hydraulic pump.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

here is part No.'s and dimentions of both the two pump O rings,

4026 87
HYD OIL O-RING
DIAM 16-TO 1,9
- PRESS PUMP 6+2 + NON-SINKING

4026 88
HYD OIL O-RING
DIAM 19-TO 2,4
- PRESS PUMP 6+2 + NON-SINKING

you unscrew the end cap with a pair of vicegrips in/situe,

then you can check the best sieze out of the two above,

regards malcolm
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

Thanks chaps.

Problem now sorted - almost.

Spoke to Plieades who, as usual, were most helpful:
Have rings in stock and were happy to post, but being Friday, even first class they might not get here until Tuesday (rural post on a Monday is only junk and second class).

The free advice was: the blank (steel) end plug just unscrews preferably with something soft-faced (of course I left my small 'Boa' wrench at home). It was barely finger-tight. Providing LHM is no longer leaking out, the end plug can be safely unscrewed with care, even though the front suspension is locked in Normal - just don't disturb the valve's shuttle!

The green Viton 'O' ring had split - got a replacement 'oil-proof' one for 20p from a local agricultural engineers who warned that it's Viton for a good reason so it may only last a year or two.

As soon as I finished my cuppa, I'll go and put it back together and then take the grand-children to the beach by way of a test drive - it's only about 6 miles!

I think it might be wise to get Plieades to make me up a kit of the most commonly needed 'O' rings against future emergencies. Daughter is planning to replace her Xantia with something bigger, but I'll be keeping mine for the foreseeable future.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Good to hear you've got it sorted.

The number of these that have failed rather leads me to believe that replacing it should be a service item for older (ie all!) Xantias now - sounds like it can done easily at the same time as an LHM change. If we could positively identify the O-ring's part number so much the better.... :lol:
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

did you mesure the O ring/orafiss whilst it were in bits, so we can match which of the two above is the best one for the job,

regards malcolm