Massey Ferguson mf35 tractor problem (also posted on FFRR)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Massey Ferguson mf35 tractor problem (also posted on FFRR)

Post by KP »

anyone with any knowledge of tractos able to help me with this quandray at all?

My FIL's mf35 has ceased up from what i can tell, and while it was running.

The dilema is i dont think it would get much on the bay or the like unless a collector really wanted it as its all original, but 1 quote so far was £1500 for a rebuild :(

Now i think it uses the Perkins 3.152 engine as its diesel and at this age its the only engine they fitted to it, and i can find a full overhaull kit for the AD3.152 engine but don't know if they are compatible or not as it would help keep the cost down.

But the main part is finding someone who would want to do the work with the engine as is, ie still in the tractor, at their site or not far away(they are based near goole). we can tow it a reasonable distance or even hire a trailer for a day for the job but its finding someone who isnt going to go overboard with the budget as IME and the FIL's when it comes to rebuilds prices creep up everytime :(

Its an old unit that he has had for some 20years IIRC and it must be past 50yr old judging by some parts on it.

Failing this i guess it will be a case of draining its fluids and towing it and its anchilaries down to the scrap man to weight in which should be a problem for the FFRR :) and then we would have to find a replacent to take the brunt of the heavey work on his nursery as grass cutter units cant do ploughing and so fourth :(

TIA ladies and gents :)
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Before you scrap it, consider the cost of a replacement tractor that can survive so many years of negligible maintenance. :wink:
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Well they bought it for £1k so I think thu have seen fair non services use out of it. Problem is rebuild quotes are £1-1.5k minimum which is pointless to them and is better to be scrapped and another bought even if it only lasts another 5 years :-)
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I could tell you of a few fairly cheap agricultural engineers but they would be local to me rather than you. Sorry about that.

I'm sure there's got to be a few cash in hand weekend engineers knocking about, might be worth asking around the countryish/men in overalls/animal feed sellers type places.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Cheers Gents :)

On the FFRR forum its been suggested that its heavily used in narrowboats and general marine use being the 3cylinder.

I have found a kit on the bay for £300 but not sure if its for that engine or not, may pop by tomorrow afternoon and jet wash it to get the numbers off it or call the seller and see if its compatible as that would save a lot of £££ for the FIL should a rebuild be required.

If it is quite common then one of the very local canal works may have another in stock so it could be a swao in and out jobby which would be nice as it could easily be towed there :)

Will see how it goes but thanks again folks :) as always these car forums are full of folks with other knowledge to other brands and not just there own!! lol xxx
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Are these wee tractors not worth big money now, and many of them going for export.

I wouldn't scrap it, there will be someone out there who can repair it.

Why not get it repaired, and spend another few quid making it into a nice quality tractor to take to local vintage shows as well?
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Its an idea to get it nice but my FIL runs a show garden and nursery so unless we can find somewhere/one local to do the work it may not be worth the hassle of the bay as it has been really worked for its life and whilst all original(even the rad, oil, and coolant(whats left!)) it would need a lot of work, and i already have one forumer interested :)

would be nice if he gets it rebuild though to get it resprayed red for a few quid to its original color so when people see the garden it looks good, but the block and pump area are proper gunked up, as you cna imagine after 20years of hard work in all weathers :) should make bolts easy to come out though as the FIL reckons most of it is diesel lol